First Egg!

DiannaTN

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2023
We got our first egg this week! :wee I think it was my Barred Rock named Henwig. She was 20 weeks old to the day when I found it.
She has been acting a little different for about a week. All 3 of my BRs now have bright red combs (they have been light pink up til now) and my rooster is acting very rooster-y. We also have 4 other pullets (French Black Copper Maran, 2 Whiting True Blue, 1 True Green) but they are a little younger so I don't think they will lay for another month or two.
Sadly, we didn't eat the egg. I thought it was one of the ceramic eggs --- it was exactly the same color and size/shape --- and I'd set it aside not so gently while cleaning the coop...then it cracked. But we were still so very excited! We got another one today (2 days later). :)
Thanks to all here who offer advice and encouragement. It has helped so much, even when you didn't know I was lurking and reading and absorbing all the info. My family is new to chickens, and it feels so good that at least we're doing something right.
IMG_6048.jpg
:wee

Last edited:
Hurray for Henwig!

Mistaking her first egg for a ceramic one sounds like something I'd do. Okay, something I HAVE done.
Congrats on getting the next egg, too! Isn't it amazing that something as simple as an egg can make a person feel so happy?

Back
Top Bottom