First egg :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sky king, Sep 28, 2011.

1. sky king

sky king Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Rome GA
    Ok I got my first egg should I leave it in there or get it out I thought maybe leave it in there to influence the other hens to may ?

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your first egg. Always a wonderful milestone. We took our first egg and blew it out and it sits in a miniature basket in our office. You can place golf balls in the nests to encourage the girls to use the nest boxes.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    WHen the girls are ready they will lay. Better to get that first egg refrigerated, or eaten! My girls do seem to use a nesting box that already has an egg in it! Causes a line up! Silly girls.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I would take it out and put golf balls in their nest boxes.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. sky king

sky king Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Rome GA
    Thank you all for the info. I took it out an blew the yolk out an saved it [​IMG]. An I have had gold balls in there for about a month an they have been goin an sittin on them witch has helped I guess but yea I got my first brown egg for my little buff orpinton name Buffy the vampire slayer cause she is fisty with the men An should I get the eggs every day or once a week or what ?

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Best to collect the eggs daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by