First Egg!!!!

Paul 1952

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 10, 2012
Spokane Valley, WA
Not sure where to post this but first egg just happened!!! Have a small flock of 6, 3 black star & 3 red star, and today's the day!!! On the 4th of July no less!!!
Got the chicks in March and weren't expecting any eggs until toward the end of this month but there it was this morning! And it's perfect, but small yet... and they're not even on layer feed and O-shell yet...!

Congratulations to you. Aren't those eggs so cute? I too got my first eggs today. I bought the pullet knowing that she "should be laying in the next couple of weeks" and sure enough, 2 1/2 weeks after I got her, Snowy gave me these:

There is a slight bluish tint to them. I found them on the floor. Then Snowy was sitting and moving bedding around where I found one of the eggs and sure enough when I went out again an hour later, there was another one. The two above the ruler are the found ones (so laid Monday and Tuesday), and the one below is the one that came still warm today. I have more pullets, but I don't expect them to lay until August (got them first weekend in April so they are a bit younger than yours).

CG

When you get those first eggs, do you want to hurry and open them?

I'm struggling a little with eating something that came out of a chicken I feed mealworms and stuff to, but I'm sure once I do it a time or two, I wont think that way.

I bet when I get my first egg, I'll want to crack it quick.

We also got our first egg today. HAPPY 4TH OF JULY. I guess we will never forget the day our backyard flock started laying!!! We have 25 chicks in all, at least 4 are roosters. Todays egg was courtesy of one of the plymouth rock birds.

would you mind showing the pic of your bird that is laying? we have 3 red stars and one black star. The birds were hatched in early March. Their combs and wattles aren't big or red yet. I am just wondering what they look like when they start to lay. I just got my first egg today as well from my red production. Thanks
Not sure where to post this but first egg just happened!!! Have a small flock of 6, 3 black star & 3 red star, and today's the day!!! On the 4th of July no less!!!
Got the chicks in March and weren't expecting any eggs until toward the end of this month but there it was this morning! And it's perfect, but small yet... and they're not even on layer feed and O-shell yet...!

Back
Top Bottom