First Egg!!!!

When you get those first eggs, do you want to hurry and open them?

I'm struggling a little with eating something that came out of a chicken I feed mealworms and stuff to, but I'm sure once I do it a time or two, I wont think that way.

I bet when I get my first egg, I'll want to crack it quick.
Had no issues with that here ... popped it open and fried it up, over easy. Great flavor and such a nice dark yellow yolk... yum!

would you mind showing the pic of your bird that is laying? we have 3 red stars and one black star. The birds were hatched in early March. Their combs and wattles aren't big or red yet. I am just wondering what they look like when they start to lay. I just got my first egg today as well from my red production. Thanks
If you look in my sig I've got a video titled chicken & mouse.... that's the most recent vid I've got. Can't get to a picture from this machine... My blacks are a bit older than the reds we have by about 2 or so.... I'm assuming this egg came from one of the blacks, they all have pretty well developed combs and wattles .... nice and red. The reds we've got are getting there but still have some time to go. And congrats on your first egg too!!!!

well it's morning now so I took a quick snap of the black starts we've got here... not sure which one laid the egg for sure. Although she laid another today, unless we've got multiples going...

Last edited:
If you look in my sig I've got a video titled chicken & mouse.... that's the most recent vid I've got. Can't get to a picture from this machine... My blacks are a bit older than the reds we have by about 2 or so.... I'm assuming this egg came from one of the blacks, they all have pretty well developed combs and wattles .... nice and red. The reds we've got are getting there but still have some time to go. And congrats on your first egg too!!!!

well it's morning now so I took a quick snap of the black starts we've got here... not sure which one laid the egg for sure. Although she laid another today, unless we've got multiples going...

Yours seems to have larger wattles and combs than our sex links, wonder if they can lay with smaller wattle and combs? our sex links were born the 1st week of march and should be close i hope soon.

Last edited:
Yours seems to have larger wattles and combs than our sex links, wonder if they can lay with smaller wattle and combs? our sex links were born the 1st week of march and should be close i hope soon.
I assume that they can lay with smaller combs and such but who knows... and our blacks and reds are separated a bit in time. The blacks we got first, the first week in March, they were the last three out of a large batch at the local Big R. Then we got the reds about a week later at the Aslin-Finch and it was a brand new shipment... so the two groups are probably separated by more than just the week.... more like a three week difference between our blacks & reds.
And since that first egg we've gotten one a day from the same hen I'm assuming and noticed today that it wasn't even the largest hen of the three blacks. It was the smaller and most docile of the three so hard tellin'! Just a good egg layer she is.... and all three eggs have been carbon copies of each other. So we're just waiting for our other girls to catch up and catch on to the deal here!

... and no sooner than I send this and there's one of the reds in the nest box! I guess it's all starting ... best get the egg cartons ready.

Last edited:
I assume that they can lay with smaller combs and such but who knows... and our blacks and reds are separated a bit in time.
Getting eggs regularly here from a couple of "Mixed Pullets" from TSC on March 1st. They were plain white at purchase, but since have become mostly red. Their combs and wattles are smaller and more subdued than the others we purchased on the same day (and are not laying yet).

The girls with the big red combs and wattles haven't started yet. The girls with the small pale combs are providing breakfast.

Our red sexlink laid her first egg today also! Some of the signs included a more developed comb and wattle, she got a little more rambunctious, and started making loud squawky noises a week before laying. I now know what an egg song is! Let's hoe the others start singing soon!

It happened. One of my girls layed her first egg today!!! I have no idea who - but there it was. A perfectly shaped brown egg right in the center of the nest box. Could you imagine my surprise?

I ran around with it for about 15 minutes texting everyone that my chicken layed an egg. Then I fried it and a store bought egg up and fed them to my daughters boyfriend who easily guessed which egg was from my precious chicken!

Woo hooo!!!

I hope they all start laying. I can't wait to give them to my neighbors!

Our red sexlink laid her first egg today also! Some of the signs included a more developed comb and wattle, she got a little more rambunctious, and started making loud squawky noises a week before laying. I now know what an egg song is! Let's hoe the others start singing soon!
Hmph, I didn't recognize any signs, but I've only had them 2 weeks so I don't know what "normal" behavior is.

It happened. One of my girls layed her first egg today!!! I have no idea who - but there it was. A perfectly shaped brown egg right in the center of the nest box. Could you imagine my surprise?

I ran around with it for about 15 minutes texting everyone that my chicken layed an egg. Then I fried it and a store bought egg up and fed them to my daughters boyfriend who easily guessed which egg was from my precious chicken!

Woo hooo!!!

I hope they all start laying. I can't wait to give them to my neighbors!

Wow! This just describes what I did, only you can be sure that the pictures were on facebook also! Since my first RSL started laying, she has laid every single day for four days in a row. But she still hasn't laid in the nesting box yet. Tell me what you all think: they are in a chicken tractor type set up, and the coop section is 3x4 ft, with a roost about a foot up in the middle. We have been putting pine shavings in the coop section since the beginning, and since she has started laying, we also opened the nest box and put shavings in there. We put the golfball in there also, but she still hasn't gotten the idea. We have found poo inside the nest box a few times... Should we take out all of the shavings from the coop section and only fill the nest box with shavings to encourage her in there? Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom