First egg.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smfritch, Sep 23, 2008.

1. smfritch

smfritch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Weaverville, CA
    A little over a week ago one of my RIR laid her first egg. She hasn't laid again until today. The first egg was very small, and the one she laid today is a little larger, but still very small. Is this normal?

Steven

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I don't know, but we have two RIR chicks - what color was the egg? Oh and CONGRATS!!!!

3. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Yep, pullets often lay small eggs when they first start laying and then over time they should get up to their regular size.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Congrats on your first egg [​IMG]

My hens first eggs were very small, but they only took a couple days between 1st and 2nd egg.

5. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    Congrats on the first eggs!! I too got my first eggs just over a week ago and they are kind of small. The first little chicken is starting to lay just a little bigger eggs now. The good part is tht she must have kick started the other hens to start laying because yesterday I got 2 eggs and today I got 3 eggs. They are on a roll now I guess.

6. smfritch

smfritch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Weaverville, CA
    Thanks! The first egg was brown, but the second egg was brown and white. They are normal inside, just very small.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Congrats!!! [​IMG]

She'll get in the laying cycle... which may still be a little slow with the days shortening now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by