First egg!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thedude14, Aug 18, 2014.

1. thedude14

thedude14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2014
    My oldest hen finally laid her first egg today! So exciting!! She starting squatting when I approached her within the last week and has been laying in the nest box the last three mornings and today was the first time she laid an egg! I was a little skeptical she might have been a rooster she has a large comb and wattles and is very vocal sometimes my neighbors can hear her squawking in the morning when she wants some food. I have a couple questions, I have three other hens, one is almost the same age and should be laying very soon and the other two are a few months younger. They are all still on grower feed how do I switch to layer when only one hen out of four is laying? Also do you guys refrigerate your eggs or leave them on the counter?? Thanks so much!!! Wahoo[​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG] So happy for you! I leave mine on the counter the remainder of that day of lay so they will finish cooling down somewhat, then I refrigerate them. But they don't last long as I usually have them for breakfast the next morning!! Best of luck to you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by