First Eggs and color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jdoane, Jan 15, 2014.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Ok. I've been awaiting my first eggs for a bit. I actually have had one layer (a SLW that we got as an already laying pullet) since October. But my August Chicks are just coming into lay. My Gold Sex Link who is very friendly was easy to identify her egg. She had been crouching anytime I came near and then her egg was a definite different color.

But my Barred Rock keeps her distance from me so I didn't see any crouching but her comb has been really red for longer than the Gold Sex Link. There was an egg last week that was just a tiny bit paler than my SLW egg. It looked a little smaller but was similar in weight to my SLWs eggs. I ended up figuring that it was the SLWs and it was just a little smaller and slightly diff color. But the next day her egg was back to size and color. And today I got another slightly paler egg and it would be off schedule for my SLW.

Do you think this could be my Barred Rock? Or is it possible that my SLW is just laying a paler egg every once in a while. I suppose if they get it together and I get three eggs in one day - I'll know! [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am not an expert at egg colors. But I can tell you that my girls generally lay an egg with a certain hue to it. Sometimes the egg can be a bit lighter than the last one, but each hen has her own hue to their eggs. All my girls lay brown eggs. But each one's eggs has a different tone to it. Once you learn each hen's "tone", (and this works best if you only have a few hens laying brown eggs, [​IMG]) you will learn who's egg is from who. If you can identify one hens egg, make a mental note of it's color. The other brown eggs will be a shade different. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    That's exactly my struggle. I can't decide if the one in question is just a bit lighter than the last one or a different tone. LOL. And now all but one of my pullets is squatting!!!! Granted that's only 3 new ones. I've figured out one of those three. And i know my one that had already been laying. May just have to wait until I have more eggs in one day to differentiate. Fun!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by