First eggs and then.....nothing

buckaroo's wife

Songster
10 Years
Dec 10, 2009
North Central Texas
Hi all! I got my first three eggs this past monday! So very exciting....but I've seen nothing since. I'm sure it takes awhile to "get things going"...but is this pretty normal? My chickens free range, so I'm wondering if they are laying somewhere out in our pasture. I found the first three eggs in our coop....of course I removed them to take pictures and brag
big_smile.png
One thing I haven't done is put fake eggs in there...should that be my next step??

Yes, it's normal. It can take a while to get the kinks worked out. And yes, I'd put fake eggs in the nest boxes so they will get the hint. New layers sometimes get surprised by the egg coming and it just plops out of them wherever they are at the time, so it's possible you have eggs in your pasture.

I got mine at a thrift store cheap! mine hens used to lay all over the hen house until I placed the fake ceramic egg in the nesting box. my hen house is 4x4 so I put a longer handle on a cat litter scoop (new) to get them when they layed in the back where I couldnt reach them. now that they lay in the box with the fake egg I use the scoop to scoop out the poop I use shavings in the bottom and it keeps the hen house clean and needing less changing of litter!!

I was just going to post about this same thing. I got my first egg on 6/23 and have gotten nothing since. I really don't think they could be laying anywhere else, and the chicken keeps sitting in the nesting box, but I haven't seen a 2nd egg!

I think we may need to give it time...

well I had two broody hens hatch about 8 chicks between them. and was only getting one or two eggs ( out of 7 hens). My sons have found all sorts of nests with 3 and 4 eggs in them. now I have 2 dozen sitting in the fridge

Where did your sons find nests? I've found some quasi-nests out in our pasture, but no eggs. It's been in the 100s here so I hate to lock them up ALL day (I like to think they prefer to be out in the breeze?!
D.gif
) but it's only supposed to be 90 tomorrow. I may lock them up for a day or two and see if I find anything in the coop. Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue!

I agree they may just be waiting....?? BUT, we finally got a "cooler" day (only 90) so I left them locked up, and sure enough found an egg when I got home. I think they've been laying out in the pasture too, but I can't find a nest/eggs for the life of me! Searched high and low but I come up with nothing...It's going to be cooler/rainy all week, so I'm planning on leaving them locked up so I can see how often they are laying.

Back
Top Bottom