First eggs from my duck

WaddleWagon

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2016
So I am very new to this whole world so please bare with me, She just started laying as of yesterday, we got another one today.
How often will she actually lay eggs about, is there anything I need to give her, I read about oyster shell.
Is that okay to give her and if the drake eats it will he be okay as well?
Just want to make sure if theres something else I need to do for her care I am, keep her happy & healthy.
Thanks

So I am very new to this whole world so please bare with me, She just started laying as of yesterday, we got another one today.
How often will she actually lay eggs about, is there anything I need to give her, I read about oyster shell.
Is that okay to give her and if the drake eats it will he be okay as well?
Just want to make sure if theres something else I need to do for her care I am, keep her happy & healthy.
Thanks

Congratulations! I hope you like eating duck eggs as much as I do...they're delicious.
yippiechickie.gif

Assuming she's not eating a layer ration already, free choice oyster shell would be good. Drakes aren't really supposed to eat it because too much calcium can be bad for the health of non-layers, but my drakes will scarf it down if they can get to it, so I would just recommend that you try to limit the drake's consumption of it, if you see him eating it. I won't try tasting it, myself, but I wonder if it's salty and that's why the boys like to eat it.

Balanced nutrition is also important - what do you feed her? Also, what breed is she?

Shes on that Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles, should I change their diet up now? That is a good point I forgot to ask. They are Pekin ducks and 6mos old. What would you suggest for their food

Since they're starting to lay, layer feed is appropriate, but you could also continue to feed flock raiser plus the oyster shell - I think the flock raiser has a higher protein level than layer usually does. Does the flock raiser have extra niacin? If not, adding brewer's yeast can provide it.

Another option is to feed a waterfowl-specific feed, like Mazuri or Southern States (if available to you). Ducks really seem to enjoy the floating feed.

Back to your question about how many eggs your ducks will lay - this site says "up to 200...eggs per year": http://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/poultry/poultry-poultry/backyard-breed-profile-the-pekin-duck/. BYCers also weighed in here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/313412/how-often-do-peking-ducks-lay-eggs.

Yes I have been.giving them brewers yeast alongside the crumbles. I'll look into layer feed and if anything get the oyster shell , is it fine to.just mix that with the other food..Idk how I can prevent the make from eating it really

Yes I have been.giving them brewers yeast alongside the crumbles. I'll look into layer feed and if anything get the oyster shell , is it fine to.just mix that with the other food..Idk how I can prevent the make from eating it really
I don't mix the oyster shell in - I just put it out in a dish or a hanging feeder and they eat what they need. When I saw my drakes gobbling the oyster shell up, I moved it to the chicken coop so it would be less obvious to them. I've seen ducks in the coop, but the drakes don't really go in there.

Back
Top Bottom