First eggs Questions?

GreeneAcresFarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
We found our first eggs today. We found 7 of them! I have been slacking getting the nest boxes installed. I went to put them up today and found these.
82046_photo-1.jpg

I found them in the straw outside of the coop on a wood pile. Not sure when the were laid. I marked them with a big X and put them in the nest boxes with some fresh straw.
Is that ok to do? If so how long should I leave them? We figure we will collect any new ones. I hate not to eat our first eggs but since we do not know if they were laid today or over the last few days and It has been in the mid 90's here until today we did not want to chance it.

The hens are 19 weeks. The eggs are very small.

I wouldn't leave them there. Get some wooden ones or put golf balls in their place. They could get broken, which will encourage the hens to eat them OR they could explode in all their rotten glory.
sickbyc.gif

Chances are they are still good... if in doubt, crack them into a bowl before putting in the skillet. What have you got to lose? Fresh eggs stay fresh a long time!

Last edited:
We got the eggs this morning. No new ones:(. I cracked one open to inspect. I noticed the "spot" that it appears to be fertile? Pic below. I rinsed them off and put them in a bowl of water and they all stayed on the bottom. So they should be good to eat.
82046_photo-2.jpg

Thanks! I ended up with 3 Roo's so they are keeping the 8 hens busy! I have 18 more pullets that are 8 weeks old so that will help soon when they are let out of the grow out pen. My 6 year old said last night that the Roo was being mean to the hen!!!!
lol.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom