First eggs safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Andi, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Andi

Andi Chillin' With My Peeps

We haven't gotten any eggs yet. I've read the first eggs are funky shaped and leathery. Are they safe to eat?

2. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    ALSO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THIS ANSWER. THANKS FOR ASKING It!

3. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    I ate the first eggs that hatched from my chickens. They were smaller in size but tasted just fine to me. [​IMG]

4. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I ate all the first eggs and they have been DEEEELicous! Dark- sunset-orage yolks with flavor you never get from a market egg- even the cage free good ones.
    After all the work you've put into feeding them and caring for them- you betcha I'm gonna eat um! Unless you've given them medicine or something they are fine. [​IMG]

5. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:DITTO!

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Eggs are eggs first or last. Don't eat them if they smell bad. Otherwise go for it. It is very safe. KEEP YOUR HENS HEALTHY!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    EAT!

[​IMG]

8. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Eat em' up! They may look funny, they make be a little funny shaped, but if they dont explode when you put em in the pan or smell rotten......They are good to go!!!!!

If they explode in the pan, check your fertilizer and your gunpowder storage. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Cockadoodledon't :

Eat em' up! They may look funny, they make be a little funny shaped, but if they dont explode when you put em in the pan or smell rotten......They are good to go!!!!!

If they explode in the pan, check your fertilizer and your gunpowder storage. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Cockadoodledon't

Cockadoodledon't Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

Thanks..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by