Are these eggs safe ?

Lspears218

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Hello all-
Today I cracked open my Easter Egger “Lavie’s” first 2 eggs (laid today and Monday). I see 2 black/brown dots in them. Is this normal ? Are they safe to eat? I have a flock of different breeds (15 hens) and this is the first time I encountered this. Any info would be great , thank you !

Attachments

• IMG_4902.jpeg
    IMG_4902.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 37
Hello all-
Today I cracked open my Easter Egger “Lavie’s” first 2 eggs (laid today and Monday). I see 2 black/brown dots in them. Is this normal ? Are they safe to eat? I have a flock of different breeds (15 hens) and this is the first time I encountered this. Any info would be great , thank you !
Safe yes and can be "normal".. still gross (to me). :sick

I hate to see them and don't share eggs (with friends or family) from hens that throw them. Sometimes I fish out the meat spots and use the eggs anyways (if we're low on eggs)... Other times I cook them and feed back to the animals.

As stated by the first poster they are "meat spots".. usually candled out of commercial retail eggs and sent to other food processors like bread and cake mixes, mayonnaise, etc.

See the following article for some excellent information and a really cool video.. (meat spots are near the bottom)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

I was hoping it was just a new layer hiccup that would go away.. but 2 outta 4 of last years layers from TSC/Hoovers are still throwing them consistently at just about one year old (An EE that also has wry tail and a white Rock). I am even considering harvesting (or otherwise culling) those ladies. I actually won't get birds from either place again! Maybe I'm being too reactive??

That top egg without the meat spots looks like it's fertile. Some infertile eggs can still show that "bullseye" development though (even if you have hens ONLY). Example illustration from google..

1694040162894.png

Back
Top Bottom