First eggs with bullseye and no rooster for months

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bluespeckledhen, Dec 13, 2013.

1. bluespeckledhen

bluespeckledhen New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    Hello!

I have three hens that we hatched back in May. We had a rooster for about two months(August- first week in Oct) but had to get rid of it at the beginning of October. The rooster was also hatched with the hens so they were all the same age. A few days before the rooster left I noticed it mating with one of the hens.... Fast forward to today when we discovered eggs! The first eggs! So we cracked one open to cook it up and the yolk had the fertilized bullseye marking. I'm so flabbergasted by it, because it's been over two months since the rooster was here and there aren't any other roosters around. How is this possible?!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Happy you joined us and merry Christmas!!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've always heard to separate hens from a roo 3 weeks before putting with a different roo because the rooster's contribution can last for that period of time. With no rooster for months, it would be impossible barring any sneaky feral roos popping up, or some stealth roo that was masquerading as a hen. Maybe the first roo just had very very slow "swimmers."

Would you have a photo of the bullseye? Sometimes just a white spot is interpreted to be a bullseye and is not. Maybe your hen is destined to be in the Guinness book of records.

4. bluespeckledhen

bluespeckledhen New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    I did take a picture of it!

It wasnt the best lighting, but you can see it on the bottom left of yolk, right below the shinny white reflection of the ceiling light
    . I think it was this hens second egg, because the other blue egg is oddly shaped, it's almost twice as big. I'll crack that one open today and have a look. Does it look like a bullseye to you? It looked exactly like the marking on the eggs I've been getting at a local farm where we buy our eggs.

[​IMG]

5. bluespeckledhen

bluespeckledhen New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    Here's the other egg from same hen. A double yolker

6. bluespeckledhen

bluespeckledhen New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    Hmmm my photo didn't upload

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Every egg has a nucleus. What you are seeing is the non fertilized nucleus of the egg.

8. bluespeckledhen

bluespeckledhen New Egg

Dec 13, 2013
    Ohhhh ha! Ok that makes total sense!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC, and Happy Holidays!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by