first eggs! woo-hoo!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poultra, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Poultra

Poultra Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    I can join the first egg club now. I found my first 2 eggs in the coop last night - on the floor instead of the nice nest boxes, of course. And I even put dummy eggs (egg shaped rocks) in them.

I also found a shell with no contents - kind of like someone had held one end and squeezed out the insides. I didn't find any yolk/whites, just the squeezed out shell - can that happen with a new layer? I showed it to my husband who had chickens as a kid and he said his never laid any like that.

I'm so happy to see eggs! I have 8 girls - 3 Golden Comets, 3 RIR and 2 BO. The first 6 are 16 weeks and the buffs are 14. I'm guessing it was the GCs who laid them.

Thanks for letting me boast a bit! It was a nice ending to a crappy day.
    Katie

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hooray! [​IMG] Congrats on getting those first eggs!!! That is always so exciting. [​IMG] Some of mine are still laying on the floor also and not in the nesting boxes, but a few have started to use the boxes. So don't loose hope! They'll figure it out. [​IMG] My hens also started out with laying that squishy egg that you described also. I offered them some oyster shell and they seemed to help harden the shells up. You probably found the squishy shell and no yolk or egg white because the chickens more than likely had eaten the yolk and white already. Mine did that to the eggs that are soft shelled. Offer some oyster shell and see if that helps. Again, congrats on that first egg! [​IMG]

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    whoooooo!!!!!!!....... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I loved getting my first egg...it was like easter everyday we had an egg hunt

4. punkin

punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Congrats on your first eggs [​IMG] [​IMG] Tell your girls for me, too.

5. moody-chick

moody-chick New Egg

May 17, 2008
    new york state
    poultra.. [​IMG] condratulations.

I know how u feel. I'ts very eggciting.[​IMG]
    I acted like a kid with a new toy. It was small, but still an egg.[​IMG]

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on your first eggs. It is always so exciting.

7. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Whoohooo... I bet they were so yummy. I'm still addicted to the point I'm eating an egg a day now that I can!!!! First egg will always taste the best. [​IMG]

8. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Congratulations!!!!

It is exciting finding the eggs!!

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    congrats on your first eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by