first eggs! woo-hoo!!!

Poultra

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 26, 2008
I can join the first egg club now. I found my first 2 eggs in the coop last night - on the floor instead of the nice nest boxes, of course. And I even put dummy eggs (egg shaped rocks) in them.

I also found a shell with no contents - kind of like someone had held one end and squeezed out the insides. I didn't find any yolk/whites, just the squeezed out shell - can that happen with a new layer? I showed it to my husband who had chickens as a kid and he said his never laid any like that.

I'm so happy to see eggs! I have 8 girls - 3 Golden Comets, 3 RIR and 2 BO. The first 6 are 16 weeks and the buffs are 14. I'm guessing it was the GCs who laid them.

Thanks for letting me boast a bit! It was a nice ending to a crappy day.
Katie

Hooray!
D.gif
Congrats on getting those first eggs!!! That is always so exciting.
smile.png
Some of mine are still laying on the floor also and not in the nesting boxes, but a few have started to use the boxes. So don't loose hope! They'll figure it out.
wink.png
My hens also started out with laying that squishy egg that you described also. I offered them some oyster shell and they seemed to help harden the shells up. You probably found the squishy shell and no yolk or egg white because the chickens more than likely had eaten the yolk and white already. Mine did that to the eggs that are soft shelled. Offer some oyster shell and see if that helps. Again, congrats on that first egg!
clap.gif

whoooooo!!!!!!!.......
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
woot.gif

I loved getting my first egg...it was like easter everyday we had an egg hunt

Whoohooo... I bet they were so yummy. I'm still addicted to the point I'm eating an egg a day now that I can!!!! First egg will always taste the best.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom