First Eggs!

Heiser Homestead

Chirping
May 28, 2020
Maryland
Do you think all of these eggs could have come from the same chicken? I REALLY don’t think we missed an egg on 9/22, but it is possible. This is between 17-18 weeks for our flock, but the only chicken I expected to lay this early is our black Australorp. Our other breeds are Delware, Easter Eggers, Sapphire Splash and French Black Copper Marans.
B2059B9F-1E16-4552-B7F6-602B91B142D4.jpeg

I think they came from the same chicken.
My big head hen, laid a small soft shell, then a harder soft shell, then nice big round eggs ever since! Happy egg collecting <3

I don't think they are from the same chicken. A brand new layer would not lay 2 eggs in one day.
I also don't think your australorp laid them. Maybe the first one, but not the darker ones. Those are marans eggs.
Do any of your chickens have bright red combs? You can check the width between their pelvic bones to see which ones are laying. This article will tell you how to do that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

X2
I don't think they are from the same chicken. A brand new layer would not lay 2 eggs in one day.
I also don't think your australorp laid them. Maybe the first one, but not the darker ones. Those are marans eggs.
Do any of your chickens have bright red combs? You can check the width between their pelvic bones to see which ones are laying. This article will tell you how to do that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
X2

Thanks for the link! The only two with bright red combs and wattles are one French Black Copper Maran and our Delaware. I was just thinking 17 weeks was way too early for either of those breeds. Do they all just mature at their own pace? @HappyClucker7 @Duckee

Thanks for the link! The only two with bright red combs and wattles are one French Black Copper Maran and our Delaware. I was just thinking 17 weeks was way too early for either of those breeds. Do they all just mature at their own pace? @HappyClucker7 @Duckee

The breed will generally tell you how fast they mature, but there are always exceptions. Have you checked their pelvic bones?

I am having the same small to big, speckled to brown with my marans as well.

After months of waiting! We have eggs every day now!

Attachments

• 0D8A383C-3090-45D8-9595-42F0AA3075AB.jpeg
    0D8A383C-3090-45D8-9595-42F0AA3075AB.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom