First ever attack so upset graphic pic warning 😭😭

Sammi_0411

Crowing
Jun 20, 2020
England UK
Okay so I have never had an attack yet we have foxes in field across the road but have never managed to get in a week ago I moved quail to a new coop obviously not predator proof hard lesson learned.woke up to a bloody scene this morning Out of my 5 girl quail 2 had their head ripped off one has foot injury and the other 2 are traumatised feel so bad I slept through it and moved them previously 😭😭 had morning of cleaning up tending to living quail and moved them back to the old enclosure where they never had any problems. Chickens were fine ugh nt a nice feeling feel so crap right now....RIP ginger and pippy 😭
Sam xx

Attachments

• IMG_20210420_075207.jpg
    IMG_20210420_075207.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 34
Okay so I have never had an attack yet we have foxes in field across the road but have never managed to get in a week ago I moved quail to a new coop obviously not predator proof hard lesson learned.woke up to a bloody scene this morning Out of my 5 girl quail 2 had their head ripped off one has foot injury and the other 2 are traumatised feel so bad I slept through it and moved them previously 😭😭 had morning of cleaning up tending to living quail and moved them back to the old enclosure where they never had any problems. Chickens were fine ugh nt a nice feeling feel so crap right now....RIP ginger and pippy 😭
Sam xx
How did the fox get in? Did it rip the mesh right off?

I highly doubt a fox did that. Cortunix quail are stupid. I once had a mixed pen of Bobwhite and Cortunix for a short time. Bobwhites slept in the middle of the cage, heads in, rumps out. Cortunix slept along the walls. Raccoons pulled the heads off of every one of them.

Don't have raccoons in UK foxes rats or cats is literally it and pretty sure it was fox it came back the next nite but thanks
Putting your location in your profile will help people know where you are. That is very typical of a raccoon attack, but as you say, it's not possible that they are the culprits in the UK. Rats can also inflict damage like that.

I highly doubt a fox did that. Cortunix quail are stupid. I once had a mixed pen of Bobwhite and Cortunix for a short time. Bobwhites slept in the middle of the cage, heads in, rumps out. Cortunix slept along the walls. Raccoons pulled the heads off of every one of them.
I've never had Bobwhites, and although Corturnix aren't the brightest stars in the sky, I wouldn't call them stupid. They prefer to stay near cover rather than open ground because they can blend in and hide better there. Having bird brains, they have no real concept of what a cage is and that they are safer in the cage than out, so they probably laid up against the walls seeking cover.

Back
Top Bottom