First ever eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wxguru, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Bought my girls as day olds from Meyer Hatchery...born Oct 27th.....and today we got our first several eggs! They are all from our golden buff.
    We had to go out of town friday...but i noticed our golden buff was rather manic and digging in the nest boxes and coop itself making nests for herself. And to top it off when i would reach for her she would do the tap dance and squat...so i told the wife i figured 48hrs for the 1st egg.
    Fast forward to today....and i am not even out of the truck and the wife comes out and tells me to come and look...sure enough we spotted 2 eggs...and then i spotted the 3rd. All in the run. The silly girl.laid all 3 in the run! They have dark nest boxes....no idea why she would prefer the run.
    they turned out beautiful though...small...but perfect shape. Super proud of her! My orpingtons and australorps of same age might have a bit to go. The golden buff started laying 2 days short of 21 weeks.
    Easter egg hunt anyone?[​IMG]
    This orpington appears to have just laid this one but was walking past it
    [​IMG]
    And are they ok to eat if they have been in the run 48hrs?
    Here are the 3 beauties together:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. HennyPenny89

HennyPenny89 New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    I got my chickens November 10th , no eggs yet but still waiting...impatiently [​IMG] but they have to lay eventually :) [​IMG]congrats on the first eggs !! So exciting !!

1 person likes this.
  3. HennyPenny89

HennyPenny89 New Egg

Feb 26, 2015
    [​IMG]These are my three ladies , one buff Orpington a RIR and a speckled sussex

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. LittleRedCoop53

LittleRedCoop53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Southern Oregon

5. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Congrats! Very "EGGSCITING!

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Congrats on finally reaching this long awaited day!

7. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    Well my wife got to watch Celo the golden buff lay her egg today. Poor thing was running around the run squawking and trying to get under other hens...I guess for comfort...lol. She finally stopped, and I saw her pushing..so i hollered for the wife, and I ran in to grab the camera to video....but in that 5 seconds, she plopped it out...so I missed it dang it! It is just a bit bigger than a golf ball....and beautiful brown!
    So she laid this one at 1120L....are they fairly consistent with their timing and everything?
    The whole ordeal was rather anticlimatic for her....not a peep afterwards...no egg song....no nothing...lol. Quiet as can be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by