First ever eggs!

Wxguru

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
ARKANSAS
Bought my girls as day olds from Meyer Hatchery...born Oct 27th.....and today we got our first several eggs! They are all from our golden buff.
We had to go out of town friday...but i noticed our golden buff was rather manic and digging in the nest boxes and coop itself making nests for herself. And to top it off when i would reach for her she would do the tap dance and squat...so i told the wife i figured 48hrs for the 1st egg.
Fast forward to today....and i am not even out of the truck and the wife comes out and tells me to come and look...sure enough we spotted 2 eggs...and then i spotted the 3rd. All in the run. The silly girl.laid all 3 in the run! They have dark nest boxes....no idea why she would prefer the run.
they turned out beautiful though...small...but perfect shape. Super proud of her! My orpingtons and australorps of same age might have a bit to go. The golden buff started laying 2 days short of 21 weeks.
Easter egg hunt anyone?

This orpington appears to have just laid this one but was walking past it

And are they ok to eat if they have been in the run 48hrs?
Here are the 3 beauties together:

Last edited:
I got my chickens November 10th , no eggs yet but still waiting...impatiently
1f601.png
but they have to lay eventually :)
1f414.png
congrats on the first eggs !! So exciting !!

Bought my girls as day olds from Meyer Hatchery...born Oct 27th.....and today we got our first several eggs! They are all from our golden buff.
We had to go out of town friday...but i noticed our golden buff was rather manic and digging in the nest boxes and coop itself making nests for herself. And to top it off when i would reach for her she would do the tap dance and squat...so i told the wife i figured 48hrs for the 1st egg.
Fast forward to today....and i am not even out of the truck and the wife comes out and tells me to come and look...sure enough we spotted 2 eggs...and then i spotted the 3rd. All in the run. The silly girl.laid all 3 in the run! They have dark nest boxes....no idea why she would prefer the run.
they turned out beautiful though...small...but perfect shape. Super proud of her! My orpingtons and australorps of same age might have a bit to go. The golden buff started laying 2 days short of 21 weeks.
Easter egg hunt anyone?
This orpington appears to have just laid this one but was walking past it

And are they ok to eat if they have been in the run 48hrs?
Here are the 3 beauties together:
Yes... the are fine to eat... yum!

Well my wife got to watch Celo the golden buff lay her egg today. Poor thing was running around the run squawking and trying to get under other hens...I guess for comfort...lol. She finally stopped, and I saw her pushing..so i hollered for the wife, and I ran in to grab the camera to video....but in that 5 seconds, she plopped it out...so I missed it dang it! It is just a bit bigger than a golf ball....and beautiful brown!
So she laid this one at 1120L....are they fairly consistent with their timing and everything?
The whole ordeal was rather anticlimatic for her....not a peep afterwards...no egg song....no nothing...lol. Quiet as can be!

Back
Top Bottom