First Ever Hatch-A-Long/First Time Incubating (October-November 2014)

Today is going to be stormy! its already very dark with rain and thunder....im worried sick about my incubator because its very possible we will be loosing power today!!!!

I was just reading through this, and about 10 years ago we were incubating chicks and the power went out so we out the incubator next to the wood stove and kept the temp even and they hatched out with no power!

sorry that I haven't been updating like I should but iv been extremely busy!

when I candled on day 19 only 13 eggs made it....on day 23 I had two eggs pip and last night I had to help the fist egg to hatch because its butt was hanging out and it couldn't turn around by itself. this morning my mom woke me up for school and I went and checked my incubator and the hatched chick was doing fine (turned out to be a blue silkie) and the second egg that pipped had a fuzzy leg hanging out and couldn't quite manage to zip the rest of the shell, so I quickly chipped away and the little guy kicked the rest off while still in my hands! so two blues have hatched and I don't know if the others have made it or not......

nope only ended up with two fluffy butts so ill move them to the brooder and incubate some eggs from my own flock :)

We changed our minds and took 12 of our chickens eggs and put them in on Election Day Nov. 4
so we're looking at a Thanksgiving week hatch
263a.png

We have a Ameraucana X Seabright X Brahma mix bantam rooster (Came from a Blue egg)
and our hens are
1 Araucana X Rhode Island Mix (Laying more blue than green eggs) ~4 eggs
2 Partridge Plymouth Rocks
1 hen she's either a Heritage Mah. Rhode Island Red or a Buckeye not Id'd breed yet
1 Silverlaced Wyandotte

We have not caught any of the other gals in action on the nesting boxes at all
so we have some darker and some lighter browns in the other eggs

We have done the 7 day candling 6 of the lighter shelled eggs were easily seen thru and distinctly alive inside
we couldn't see thru the blue or dk browns well at all enough to see, but we will maybe be able to see better in day 14.

Good luck to all if you want to see out chickies we have pics of all at our profile page / photos
263a.png

3 days from LOCKDOWN All Look good, seems to ne developing just fine can see lots of movement in the light colored eggs
Might have some circus chickies in there...we are praying for a good % in this hatch because all seems to be going so well
263a.png

We're getting kind of excited to see % of muffs, tufts, feathering on feet, bantam :LF

If all goes well this will be an incredibly educational project
and hopefully a little profitable we only plan to keep a couple and sell the rest

Back
Top Bottom