First experience with broody hen

SeeMoChickens

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2020
One of my banty cochins started sitting early this week. I wasn’t sure what to expect and if she was really committed or not, so I just kept an eye on her. When I stopped having any eggs to collect the next few days, I peeked under and found she’d collected 9! And now, the last two days, another hen appears to be broody in the same nest.

I put up another set of nesting boxes for the rest of the girls so they’d stop collecting eggs and that seems to have helped.
Night time temps are in the 60s here and I’m not sure if I’m setting myself up for heartbreak by letting her, well them I guess, try to hatch eggs as we hit fall.

If hens are adding eggs than you will have a staggered hatch, and that doesn't go well as eggs get abandoned. The best thing to do is to pull eggs daily, than set your hen up somewhere by herself and give her a few eggs. Also sometimes when two transit, especially inexperienced hens they can attack chicks when they hatch. A first time hen can be hard enough, so setting her up in a good manner can make the outcome better.

I could add food and water to the coop and keep the door to the outside closed completely, but it’d be pretty dark there. Would a cardboard box Blocking her from view on all sides give her more privacy to make her more out of sight, out of mind work?

I had written on all 9 eggs with a pencil on the date I checked under her, but that was Tuesday and she sitting on Sunday and Monday. Is that too many days in the spread?

I’m going to situate her tonight so she won’t be bothered and make sure she hasn’t laid more.

Anything else I should look for?

I could add food and water to the coop and keep the door to the outside closed completely, but it’d be pretty dark there. Would a cardboard box Blocking her from view on all sides give her more privacy to make her more out of sight, out of mind work?

I had written on all 9 eggs with a pencil on the date I checked under her, but that was Tuesday and she sitting on Sunday and Monday. Is that too many days in the spread?

I’m going to situate her tonight so she won’t be bothered and make sure she hasn’t laid more.

Anything else I should look for?
Most hens will leave the nest at or around day two after the first egg hatches. The rest will be abandoned.

Just wanted to update that we have our first chicks! You can sorta see that little bit of yellow and black chick under her wing there :)

I can’t tell exactly how many because I don’t want to upset mama too much during the day now.

Any tips now that they’re here?

Attachments

• 612D135D-DF7D-4D96-82EA-144F63935748.jpeg
    612D135D-DF7D-4D96-82EA-144F63935748.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom