First flock - feeling like a lousy chicken parent

Something else I learned the first time I incubated, and put the chicks in the brooder.....They run around like crazy, then BLAM, down they go. It's like they run out of energy, and pass out. They're fine, and it's normal. Later they'll "revive" and be very busy for awhile, then Blam, down they go again. It's very disconcerting at first.

Something else I learned the first time I incubated, and put the chicks in the brooder.....They run around like crazy, then BLAM, down they go. It's like they run out of energy, and pass out. They're fine, and it's normal. Later they'll "revive" and be very busy for awhile, then Blam, down they go again. It's very disconcerting at first.

I understand! I'm at work during the week so that helps me not be constantly watching them - but when I'm home I do check on them - and sometimes they are all laying down - it's cute - but somewhere in the back of my head I'm worrying about them just the same. The first sign of less activity is worrying.

My temps were/are just fine. Large brooder, warm on one end, cooler on the other, 2 thermometers, so they could/can seek out whatever temp suited them. This happens with every hatch, and has been going on for years. When hatching my own, I've never had pasty butt, or lost one when brooding, so I must be doing something right all these years.

Try adjusting the temperature...Too warm the lay around and too cold they huddled. Over night temps drop so they get cold then. Are they using the heat plate?

Hi - yes, they have a Brinsea Ecoglow heater plate to go under whenever they want. They definitely sleep under there at night, but seem to prefer to be out in the other areas of the brooder much of the rest of the time.

I love it the first time I put out a few mealworms. They all retreat, then slowly creep towards them. Eventually the bravest one or two of the bunch will approach them. Soon, one of them will take a quick peck. A moment later, one of the brave ones will grab one, and retreat back with the others. Then the fun is on. They all start chasing the one with the mealworm, trying to take it away. In the meantime, the other brave one has a mealworm, so chicks are running all over. It's so fun, and wears them out too.

Back
Top Bottom