First flock - feeling like a lousy chicken parent

tpatricco

Songster
Mar 24, 2019
Warren, NJ
As first timers, we've really gotten a rough start.

Did our homework to be prepared, built our own brooder from directions online... Got our first batch of 6 chicks on Saturday April 27th. Lost the first one that Wednesday, next one that Friday - asked for help and learned we had our brooder way too hot. Made adjustments. Got 6 more chicks the next Saturday. Lost one of those after a few days. Abandoned the plastic tote brooder and moved the remaining 9 to a dog crate with a Brinsea Ecoglow for better ventilation/ not overheating. We gave electrolytes, Nutri-Drench in water, ACV in water (not all at once) Feed them hard boiled egg yolks every day or two for treat/booster. Everyone seemed OK. One chick woke up with crusty eyes and sneezing - I used VetRX and washed her eyes with saline for a couple days and she got better (and is now fine). Littlest chick (a Cochin) seemed less active/energetic - would just kind of stand still a lot. But was eating and drinking and seemed otherwise OK. That chick passed overnight this past Friday. Another chick which was sneezing, head bobbing, had bubbly breathing - some kind of respiratory issue - treated with VetRx - did not survive, passed Monday morning. Now one littlest chick 1.5 weeks old also has been less active / standing still a lot - this morning she is very weak - I tried giving her some Nutri-Drench via q-tip and getting some water in her - she wouldn't eat - Tried hand feeding egg yolk. She can't stand, is lying down breathing shallow - I expect she will pass too.

Rationally, apart from the overheated brooder, I think I am doing everything I can for them reasonably. and I do understand that chickens do have a higher mortality rate than other kinds of animals. But I'm still feeling like a pretty shitty chicken parent right now. Out of 12 chicks we have 6 left? Emotionally, it's been a rough start. For the two that didn't appear sick, just were listless and didn't really grow - what can account for that, and what could I have done differently?

I appreciate the advice. Feeling sad and trying not to be discouraged.

You did everything fine. It’s the chickens, some are just weak. That’s how the animal world grows. Keep in mind that, if there’s a sick duckling, it’s mother will leave it behind because the mother knows it won’t live. That’s just how it goes. Trust me, you didn’t do anything wrong :hugs

Thank you. Rationally I know it. But any sweet little innocent creature I'm responsible for - I feel bad. It makes me want to fast forward a couple months to when they're big enough to be more sturdy. Baby chicks - just so fragile.

Some chicks are just weak and fail to thrive... nothing really can truly help no matter how perfect you treat them. @tpatricco I can tell that you're a very thoughtful and conscientious person. You are learning and doing everything you can, it's the best anyone can ask for. Everyone has problems and losses along the way, that's how we become better caretakers. Keeping chickens is a wonderful and rewarding hobby, though sometimes we have to suffer through a bit, not for the faint of heart!
poppy.gif

What kind of shavings are you using? What feed are they on? Do you check for pasty Butt?

I have been using newspaper with paper towel over it in the brooder up to this point - changed 2x daily. They're now in a 2 dog crate brooder - 1 side still has the newspaper/paper towels (and is where the Brinsea, feed and water are). Other side I added pine shavings and they have some pieces of log to sit on and a stick up higher for roosting.

They're on Purina Medicated Chick Starter.

We have been checking for pasty butt - have not had any.

Try adjusting the temperature...Too warm the lay around and too cold they huddled. Over night temps drop so they get cold then. Are they using the heat plate?

Hi - yes, they have a Brinsea Ecoglow heater plate to go under whenever they want. They definitely sleep under there at night, but seem to prefer to be out in the other areas of the brooder much of the rest of the time.

Getting started with the chick's (this time last year) was the hardest part. I had one with splay leg and splinted it the way I was told. She did better for a couple of days, and then I woke up and she had passed. I buried her, decorated the spot and put a little cross with her name on it (Spot for the one dot on the top of her head). Then I had a temporary outdoor enclosure we moved the chicks to while building their coop and lost 2 to a rat. Then another just started looking "dirty & oily", was laying down a lot, and it too passed. Once I got through those initial few weeks, everyone thrived and I've had no further issues. Going forward as long as you provide the proper water, food, and fortified shelter you should do just fine. You've certainly given it your all so be kind to yourself.

Getting started with the chick's (this time last year) was the hardest part. I had one with splay leg and splinted it the way I was told. She did better for a couple of days, and then I woke up and she had passed. I buried her, decorated the spot and put a little cross with her name on it (Spot for the one dot on the top of her head). Then I had a temporary outdoor enclosure we moved the chicks to while building their coop and lost 2 to a rat. Then another just started looking "dirty & oily", was laying down a lot, and it too passed. Once I got through those initial few weeks, everyone thrived and I've had no further issues. Going forward as long as you provide the proper water, food, and fortified shelter you should do just fine. You've certainly given it your all so be kind to yourself.

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words, and knowing I'm not alone in having lost chicks in spite of good care.

Back
Top Bottom