First flock - feeling like a lousy chicken parent

Getting started with the chick's (this time last year) was the hardest part. I had one with splay leg and splinted it the way I was told. She did better for a couple of days, and then I woke up and she had passed. I buried her, decorated the spot and put a little cross with her name on it (Spot for the one dot on the top of her head). Then I had a temporary outdoor enclosure we moved the chicks to while building their coop and lost 2 to a rat. Then another just started looking "dirty & oily", was laying down a lot, and it too passed. Once I got through those initial few weeks, everyone thrived and I've had no further issues. Going forward as long as you provide the proper water, food, and fortified shelter you should do just fine. You've certainly given it your all so be kind to yourself.

I wil delete my requests for her I guess....:idunno
That's not necessary. I understand you tagged her because you feel she has good knowledge to contribute to my concerns about the Coccidosis vs. whatever else might be plaguing my poor chicks. I'm interested in her advice too. And I also understand not everybody is sitting in front of their computer all day too. :)

Getting started with the chick's (this time last year) was the hardest part. I had one with splay leg and splinted it the way I was told. She did better for a couple of days, and then I woke up and she had passed. I buried her, decorated the spot and put a little cross with her name on it (Spot for the one dot on the top of her head). Then I had a temporary outdoor enclosure we moved the chicks to while building their coop and lost 2 to a rat. Then another just started looking "dirty & oily", was laying down a lot, and it too passed. Once I got through those initial few weeks, everyone thrived and I've had no further issues. Going forward as long as you provide the proper water, food, and fortified shelter you should do just fine. You've certainly given it your all so be kind to yourself.

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words, and knowing I'm not alone in having lost chicks in spite of good care.

Your brooder setup with 2 dog crates looks really great! But... it looks like you still have the heat lamp and the heater plate? This doesn't really allow for a cooler area for the chicks to escape to. The heater plate alone should be enough heat for everyone. Your youngest chick just may spend more time under there than the others, or maybe not. The older ones will probably not need any heat much longer anyway. What about natural light? Do your chicks sleep quietly through the night?

Chicks are actually more hardy than you think and sometimes "babying" and offering too much of a good thing might not be best. Chicks are however, more susceptible to disease. I'm wondering if your first batch may have contracted something, and possibly spread it to some new ones. Respiratory illnesses are especially contagious. Mortality rate isn't 100% thankfully, and some chicks do build immunity, but can be carriers for life. I can't say for sure this is the problem, just a possibility.

It does seem unusual to lose so many chicks without disease present. Have you contacted the hatchery? I wouldn't get any more chicks until you've figured out for sure what is wrong. If you unfortunately happen to lose another chick, I think it would be beneficial to know the cause of death, you can have a necropsy done, just be sure to keep her body refrigerated (not frozen) in plastic. Here's how to find a lab in your area:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/necropsy-and-disease-testing-lab-info.1236884/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...tic-labs-by-state-under-construction.1223966/

I really hope you don't lose any more and I'm so sorry for your losses. :hugs The only other thing I can think of... when you feed the hard boiled egg, is grit available? All chickens need grit to digest any food that isn't specially formulated chicken feed (which is water soluble).

It also wouldn't hurt to start a round of Corid in the water, your chicks aren't too young, and coccidia is actually always present. After a few days of Corid treatment, all chicks will need a vitamin boost or nutri-drench. I would get rid of the paper towels, those are only useful for the first couple days when chicks are learning to tell the difference between food and bedding. Add more shavings, that will allow poop to get turned over and dry out quicker. And raise your food and water up a bit, like on a brick, at their shoulder height is fine. This will help keep poop or contaminated shavings out of the water... like this:
2brooder.jpg

Hi. Please don't beat yourself up! I have been where you are not that long ago and would kick myself 24/7 over what could of, should of, would of happened. They are very precious to us and very hurtful loosing them, just be thankful for those you have.

Your brooder setup with 2 dog crates looks really great! But... it looks like you still have the heat lamp and the heater plate? This doesn't really allow for a cooler area for the chicks to escape to. The heater plate alone should be enough heat for everyone. Your youngest chick just may spend more time under there than the others, or maybe not. The older ones will probably not need any heat much longer anyway. What about natural light? Do your chicks sleep quietly through the night?

Chicks are actually more hardy than you think and sometimes "babying" and offering too much of a good thing might not be best. Chicks are however, more susceptible to disease. I'm wondering if your first batch may have contracted something, and possibly spread it to some new ones. Respiratory illnesses are especially contagious. Mortality rate isn't 100% thankfully, and some chicks do build immunity, but can be carriers for life. I can't say for sure this is the problem, just a possibility.

It does seem unusual to lose so many chicks without disease present. Have you contacted the hatchery? I wouldn't get any more chicks until you've figured out for sure what is wrong. If you unfortunately happen to lose another chick, I think it would be beneficial to know the cause of death, you can have a necropsy done, just be sure to keep her body refrigerated (not frozen) in plastic. Here's how to find a lab in your area:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/necropsy-and-disease-testing-lab-info.1236884/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...tic-labs-by-state-under-construction.1223966/

I really hope you don't lose any more and I'm so sorry for your losses. :hugs The only other thing I can think of... when you feed the hard boiled egg, is grit available? All chickens need grit to digest any food that isn't specially formulated chicken feed (which is water soluble).

It also wouldn't hurt to start a round of Corid in the water, your chicks aren't too young, and coccidia is actually always present. After a few days of Corid treatment, all chicks will need a vitamin boost or nutri-drench. I would get rid of the paper towels, those are only useful for the first couple days when chicks are learning to tell the difference between food and bedding. Add more shavings, that will allow poop to get turned over and dry out quicker. And raise your food and water up a bit, like on a brick, at their shoulder height is fine. This will help keep poop or contaminated shavings out of the water... like this:
View attachment 1777911

Thanks! The heat light is quite elevated on the "play" side of the brooder - more for daylight than for warmth. The brooder is in my foyer - which only has one smaller high up window, so not a lot of daylight coming in. At night we turn off the lights, make sure they all find their way back to the Brinsea and they sleep under there. I can elevate the food and water and add the pine shavings to the other side - the paper towels were just easy for cleaning.

I didn't think they needed grit for the mashed up hard boiled egg. Ugh. Another newbie foible. I will get them some and not give any more until then. I'll do the Corid followed by Nutri-Drench to be on the safe side for them.

Four of the chickens from the first round of 6 chicks are fine and strong. I lost 2 from that batch and 1 from the second due to the too hot brooder. Lost 1 from the 2nd batch definitely some kind of respiratory issue (she was bobbing head, sneezing, bubbly/congestion). The other two were young and these are the ones I'm questioning what happened - they both were kind of low activity / zoning out kind of behaviors - I tried giving both boosts - Nutri Drench, the egg (which maybe was bad given no grit). Of the remaining 2 from the second batch - 1 is big and strong - more the age of some of the first batch ones, and one is a little one - but she is active and acting normal.

One chick woke up with crusty eyes and sneezing - I used VetRX and washed her eyes with saline for a couple days and she got better

Another chick which was sneezing, head bobbing, had bubbly breathing - some kind of respiratory issue - treated with VetRx - did not survive, passed Monday morning.

Now one littlest chick 1.5 weeks old also has been less active / standing still a lot - this morning she is very weak
I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
You've been given good advice/suggestions by the others.

You have 2 age groups in the same brooder? They all came from the same place correct?
The first one that had respiratory symptoms that one was from the 1st batch? How about the 1 that died with respiratory symptoms - same batch or 2nd batch?

Any respiratory symptoms with the chick that is not well now? What does it's poop look like?
Treating for Coccidiosis won't hurt them, but I'm not sure if that's your main problem or not - if you do have 2 age groups together, then it's possible. The respiratory symptoms are also concerning.
The weak chick needs hydrated, I would try the PND again.

Some chicks are just weak and fail to thrive... nothing really can truly help no matter how perfect you treat them. @tpatricco I can tell that you're a very thoughtful and conscientious person. You are learning and doing everything you can, it's the best anyone can ask for. Everyone has problems and losses along the way, that's how we become better caretakers. Keeping chickens is a wonderful and rewarding hobby, though sometimes we have to suffer through a bit, not for the faint of heart!
poppy.gif

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
You've been given good advice/suggestions by the others.

You have 2 age groups in the same brooder? They all came from the same place correct?
The first one that had respiratory symptoms that one was from the 1st batch? How about the 1 that died with respiratory symptoms - same batch or 2nd batch?

Any respiratory symptoms with the chick that is not well now? What does it's poop look like?
Treating for Coccidiosis won't hurt them, but I'm not sure if that's your main problem or not - if you do have 2 age groups together, then it's possible. The respiratory symptoms are also concerning.
The weak chick needs hydrated, I would try the PND again.

Thank you! Two age groups...well sort of - we got 6 chicks on 4/27 and 6 more on 5/4 and they are all different breeds so some were a little older than others but all within the 0-3 week range when we got them. So the youngest are about 1.5 weeks old now, and the oldest are about 3.5 weeks. I would say currently there are 2 youngest (one which I expect to find passed when I get home from work based on how weak she was this morning :( ), 2 somewhere in the middle size wise and then 3 that are largest/oldest in the group.

The first chick with the respiratory issue that resolved itself is one of the oldest - a Salmon Faverolle from the 2nd batch, and the other was an Ameraucana also from the 2nd batch, but a little younger than the SF. The young little Cochin that passed last Friday overnight and the Wyandotte that is likely passed today were both from the 2nd batch - both didn't present with any respiratory symptoms - just less active and would stand in one place in the brooder - like zoned out - for awhile. I did observe both of them eating and drinking - but certainly not as actively as the others.

This morning - weak chick was very weak - I did give her PND via q-tip and tried to get some water in her with limited success. I think she burned what little energy she had with me holding her trying to help her. She was very weak, lying down when I had to leave this morning. Poor baby. I didn't really know what else to try and do.

Back
Top Bottom