First Flock, Lots of Questions

familyofellchicks

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2020
Hi Everyone, been lurking in this forum for a few days now and you all seemed so helpful I figured I'd join. Let me introduce the girls. We have Henrietta, Harriet, Lucy, Chickira, Kelly Cluckson, Mary Cluck, Henley and Elizabeak. They are one Red Star, one Buff Orpington, three Production Blues and three Amerucaunas.

These are the first chickens my family has ever had. I have a lot of questions. One is what are the different signs of stress for chicks? I've read quite a bit about what causes stress. But what does it look like? Additionally is it normal for chicks to fall asleep and end up by themselves on the opposite side of the broader? On chick sure does like her sleep it seems.

Excited to no longer be a lurker and thanks for any help or advice.

Attachments

• 20200619_152405.jpg
    20200619_152405.jpg
    647.7 KB · Views: 5
Welcome!
Glad you joined.

It is common for them to randomly fall asleep. They get so excited, and being part if the world is hard work.

Stress can look like different things based on the type of stress. I think you’ll know it.
They may sit still and pant if they’re too hot. They may seem sluggish and clustered if they’re cold. They may pick and push each other around too much if crowded. They may chirp excessively if they’re scared.

Some of this is normal, they’ll pick each other a bit, they chirp. But to excess is an indicator.

Back
Top Bottom