First Green Egg today!! Thanks to our Rooster for Helping!

ray2310

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Smithfield, PA
Finally - today we got our first green egg!!!

We have on Easter Egger (said to be an americana, be we are not 100% sure)
She is about 28 weeks old and I have been hoping that i'd get a green egg from her. I started thinking maybe she is already laying brown eggs (since I have 2 buckeyes laying brown pullet eggs - maybe I just haven't seen her in the nesting box yet)

My rooster has been very attentive to her lately. Fog-Horn-Leg-Horn (aka Foggy) is a sweet little white roo.. we kept him because he is kind to the girls but.. we had no idea!! He has been getting in the nesting boxes and clucking .. Charcoal-Anna (my grey EE) would follow him into the nesting boxes and they would scratch around, sit for a while, change boxes.. this has been going on for at least a week.

Today I was out collecting eggs and changing their water - when I noticed Foggy being even more diligent with Charcoal today... He was actually holding her down. Not aggressively. They would change boxes, she was putting bedding on her back.. i had a feeling today was the day!! After about an hour of standing out in the cold - watching through the back door (as to not be overly disruptive) they got out of the box and I went home..

IMG_1618.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

(look at her little head poking out between his legs)

HOWEVER - we do have an internet camera set up in our coop, so that we can check in on our flock.. so I watched from the house (on the computer screen) .. I was shocked to see them both back in the nesting box.. Foggy left her and I was busy reading an article on the internet - when I hear a PLOP! the distinct sound of an egg hitting the floor of the nesting box. I quickly looked and Charcoal was looking backwards.. when she finally moved I saw a tiny green egg.... I ran out to the coop as fast as I could.. (T shirt, shorts, 1 sock and boots - through 6 inches of snow..)

And there it was! The most beautiful little egg I've ever seen!! A tiny green pullet egg!!

IMG_1621.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

yuckyuck.gif

I would have killed my DH if he sat on my head during delivery...

What a nice bird though. I just added a tiny roo to my 12 big hen family and I'm hoping he takes good care of them like that. I wonder if he knew she needed to focus on laying. Do they know those types of things? I know they watch out for them and show them where the food is. I've never had a roo before.

Quote:

Congrats on your beautiful egg!!!!
wee.gif
clap.gif
yippiechickie.gif
I have only raised EE's for 2 years and I still enjoy going out to gather eggs and see those beautiful green and blue eggs on the nest boxes. Love those EE's!!

Foggy (our roo) was in the nesting boxes with our buckeyes a few weeks ago right before they started laying. He is young - we got him as a chick this spring... it's just amazing how animals "know" things. I'm convinced that he knew what needed to happen and he was teaching her. He is a sweetie. He lets us pick him up, he always gives his treats to his girls, is not rough and not constantly getting "piggy back rides" (if you know what I mean) and he has never shown us any signs of aggression what-so-ever.

We contemplated wether to keep him or not when he was young - he wasn't pretty, wasn't crowing.. he was very shy. We thought HE was a SHE for a very long time. but something made us keep him and it's working out great. We are so pleased with him taking care of our girls.

I've had several roos, never had one get in the nest like that, but several would pace around the coop and do the egg song with the hen in the nest doing the same song -- not in harmony -- really funny. My present roos, unfortunately, ignore the whole process. And they won't chase off the curious cat, either, they run from him. Only thing they do is fertilize eggs and chase each other. Grrr.

wee.gif
Our EE stopped laying in the fall, we think she is about 2yrs old. Maybe she will start in the spring again...
fl.gif
Those eggs are so pretty compared to the brown, we had people begging for the green eggs when we had them!
D.gif

Congrats on the green egg!
wee.gif
(I love these smilies
love.gif
) I can't wait for my first egg. I really like the mixed color egg basket idea so I will be looking for a variety of hems. Foggy sure seemed like he was being supportive although I have to agree that I would've killed my DH, too, if he sat on my head during birth.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom