First half-dozen eggs in one day!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by polychickens, Aug 7, 2007.

1. polychickens

polychickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    WOW! I thought it would never happen!! I found the first egg this afternoon in my feedroom where my chicks sometimes hang out. It wasn't there this am, but showed up around 1:00pm. When I stooped to pick it up, I found five others next to a bale of straw.

YippieeeEE! Finally! My oldest are 20 weeks plus 5 days. Two days ago I started turning on a lightbulb in the chickenhaus. I leave it on until around 11pm so it adds 2 hours of at least *some* light. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I am tickled pink to find 6 albeit very small brown eggs today.

The golfball in the nest box trick didn't work, but I moved the straw bale and cleaned out the area where they laid to deter them--hopefully to the boxes. Then I added some straw to the pine shavings in the nest box to maybe make them more appealing.

...And I was starting to think I'd NEVER see an egg!!

Polychickens
    wondering if the youngest would do ok on layer feed or if I need to feed seperately by age. The OS and grit are now free choice.

2. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Congrats![​IMG]

3. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    Woo hoo for you! [​IMG]

I can't wait for mine to start laying.

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Congrats! OK, NOW I am going to whine! I got the Buff Orps...because I heard they were great layers. Well....they are 21 weeks old...and nothing...not even looking in the nest boxes! Grrrrr, someone better start laying soon. Heck, the CornishX are!! Come on girls.....GO GO GO !!! LOL

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Deb, the Buff Orps can start a little later, but once they do, you'll like the egg sizes. My Buffs started at 22 and 23 weeks, respectively, and my Blue Orp just started laying a week ago at 25 weeks old.

6. Omeletta

Omeletta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    How nice! What a suprise, and 5 at once! i have a few weeks left, mine are 18 weeks. [​IMG]

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] woohoo for you

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Cynthia....thanks for the vote of confidence....I was beginning ti think they were holding out on me because they hate me! LOL Well, ok, they dont hate me....they climb on me from time to time..but jeesh! I have angry people waiting on these eggs! LOL

9. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    Aaauugh! Don't tell me that the BO's lay later!!! Mine will be 16 weeks this weekend and I'm chomping at the bit for some eggs! I have SLW and light brahmas too, so maybe they'll start laying soon???

Congrats on the 6 eggs in one day!!!

10. Kerr

Kerr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    ontario
    I AM JEALOUS :mad:

My egg laying RIR went Broody - AGAIN - shes been miserable for 2 weeks so instead of fretting about it, I just ignore her.
    Thus, no eggs

My girls who were born beginning of April aren't laying yet either.
    I sorta thought they would be by now. [​IMG]

sigh......

My youngest Roo thinks he's a duck

My eldest Roo thinks he's a dog

My 3 yr old daughter had a snack of layer crumble and my teenage son...well...when does school start again? [​IMG]

Somebody tell me I'm gonna get eggs soon...even if you have to lie to me to make me feel better!
    [​IMG]

Kerri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by