First Harvest................

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jackson41, Jun 2, 2011.

1. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Culled the first males from my first hatch. Man that was not easy! I just kept telling myself the GIRLS need a break! No more crowing today just one Happy Roo left. Boy did they taste good in a morel mushroom white wine sauce! Mushroom hunting was not good this year because of the late spring so these were extra special.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:hmm that sounds good... you wouldn't mind giving me the recipe would you please??

3. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    You wouldn't mind making me two servings and sending it to me?????[​IMG] I'll cover most of the shipping:thumbsup

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Good for you Kate. It is never easy, but it does get "not as hard" to send them to camp. And the eat'in part is always good! Bill

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Quote:Well, to be fair, and old leather boot would taste good cooked in morel mushroom white wine sauce.[​IMG]

6. jackson41

jackson41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:hmm that sounds good... you wouldn't mind giving me the recipe would you please??

It's not really a recipe just something I always cook grouse in.
    Flour the quail and brown in olive oil and butter, saute 1 garlic clove and the mushrooms with quail and add enough white wine to come up about 1/2 way on the birds. Add chopped fresh rosemary about 1 teaspoon. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. You can add about 1/4 cup of whipping cream at the end and salt & pepper to taste. This is good served on toasted french bread. If you don't have morels I have used crimini or button mushrooms give a good result.
    I hope you like it.

7. backyardcovey

backyardcovey Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    KC
    Sounds good! [​IMG] 7 weeks and 9 days and counting..

Till then there is Jump'n Catfish. [​IMG]

8. Dirk Chesterfield

Dirk Chesterfield Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I'm putting 30 in the bator to eat, it's been a while since I've had to put in an extra freezer shelf.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by