First hatch 12 days and counting...(UPDATE)

classroomducks

Songster
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Fort Worth, Tx
So i got just got my pekin eggs today (thanks to taztaz31)...12 of them. I took them to school and put them in my incubator. If all goes according to plan, I should have some babies peeping out around Halloween! Going to need some creative names for these babies. I also have 12 rouen eggs should be coming in the next few days....Heres Hoping!
fl.gif

Last edited:
I remember the first time I tried to hatch in the classroom. Hadn't read enough about how-to. Came back to school after a weekend and all was gone. The janitors had thrown them out because they had rotted. LOL I called the ladies this spring when I had my first hatching at home and reminded them of that time and that i was finally successful. They still say that was the most awful odor they ever had to deal with. They will never let me forget even though I am retired and gone. It is their war story to pass along.

The kids will love it!!

thanks for all the support. My janitors know aobut the eggs. They are excited too. Hopefully I have read enough that things go well. I really hope it goes ok.
fl.gif

It will be so much fun. I had trouble getting my humidity regulated last year and we moved the incubator in the shop where the temp was more constant. Someone put a sign up - "Duck Nursery"
Students will come up with some great names. My class even named one after a student. He was intent in having the duck named after him, so when we voted his classmates came through. Be ready to have the whole school parading through your classroom when they hatch. : )

Tia

im actually expecting that. We were able to do this through the limeades for learning project through the Sonic Restrauants. They gave us the 400$ grant that paid for the egss and the incubator and other things we needed. The whole school was a part of collecting the labels that we needed to win the money. So im pretty sure it wont be a secret for long when the hatch. The science teacher is going to help me set up a live stream webcam for when they are ready to hatch. That way anyone can see it. It will be great fun...as long as i get some babies!

definetly plan on next year. My daughter convinced me to bring some chicks and ducklings to her class last year. I was having to bring them almost weekly. Her old teacher already asked me if we were gonna do it this year.

So today is day 5 that our class eggs have been in our incubator. I have been so good and didnt peek until today. We have a 4 day break so we had to do it on day 5 instead of day 7. BUT!!! as of right now...we candled our 12 Pekin eggs and 10 of the 12 have veins!
wee.gif
I am sooo excited! I do have one concern though...the air sacks that are appearing at the round part of the eggs...they are not even...they kind of go up and down like mountain peeks...are they not getting turned enough? or is that normal. Any info on that would be helpful. Heres hoping were doing it right!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom