1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First hatch after raccoon attack

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by darin367, Dec 1, 2011.

1. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    my entire flock was slaughtered the other day from coons.... yes we are trying to remedy the coop, took em 2 years to find a way in, thought we were secure..... anyway, my wife is devastated... we had enough fertile eggs, so we threw them in the bator.... it's been a couple years since i hatched, i was letting the broodies do it.... my question is this... my bator is pretty full, with an egg turner in it... i was wondering do you take the eggs out of the turner and just lay them in the bator 3 days prior to hatch (lockdown).... it just doesn't seem that there's nowhere for the chicks to go with the egg turner in there..... thanks guys..

2. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    i didn't, but not really sure if your supposed to. got a good hatch to.

3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Yes, 3 days prior to hatch you have to take the egg turner out. Stop turning the eggs, and keep the 'bator
    closed. The chicks need to position themselves for hatch, and shouldn't be turned.

Sorry for your losses [​IMG] Good luck!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. Good luck too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by