first hatch and a few questions edit--new pic added

When I`m hatching, I generally take them out once a day. If they`re too wet or too weak(too new) they stay in til the next morning. If they`re still somewhat wet, but really active, I`ll go ahead and take them out. Just what works for me. I find the humidity usually-bounces right back up there, or I throw in a wet paper towel to give it a boost, but I only have to do that if there are`nt many chicks.

Quote:
You're right....I'm just keeping an eye on everyone I guess. 2 of the pipped eggs that had dryer membranes just came out. I'm watching 3 others. Things are getting a tad crowded, but I'm not that anxious to be opening the incubator with the newly hatched wet ones in there. It seems they are the most vulnerable to a sudden temp drop being only minutes old.

Last edited:
another update... I just pulled the plug on what was left. The bator smells rotton... I mean bad rotton. I noticed it this morning when I pulled the 29 chicks but man it has gotton worse. Too much for my nose anyway. I candled the 4 eggs left that never pipped. If you remember from my original post I said there were a few with strange tilted and large air cells? Guess what? It was these ones. No movement and funky smell. Took them out and did an autopsy to see what was up. I opened up the first one and immediatly noticed it failed earlier on as it was still surrounded by fluid and had a large amount of yolk which was unabsorbed. I cracked them all and they all seemed to have failed generally during the same time frame. I am guessing since the air cell was so big these eggs were prolly really too old to start with.

As for the other 2 that had pipped one showed a minor bit of activity and the other was lifeless. The one that was lifeless seemed to have been full of water...what I had feared.

The other was dried out and giving up. I helped him out but I doubt he will make it.

so 29 healthy chicks from 35. Still happy with that. When my reds start laying I will try again will a better bator and with better quality control on my eggs.

I want to thank the BYC forum authors who wrote down all the stuff I read that helped me out. I read a lot and I succeeded. Maybe I might be able to learn something to pass on as well.

Thanks,

Wes

Lách Cnoc Farm :

what kind of mutts are the buff colored ones? they're super cute
smile.png

He had some BO hens in his barn and 2 red roosters. One red rooster was quite large and had green and black wing feathers with a rose comb. The other red rooster had mixed colors on his wings too but was smaller and had a standard comb.

Have no idea what they will become but they are cute, nice gold color.

I'll get you a pic later ok.

Wes​

ok here are a few of them, I think the ones with the stripes and puffy cheeks are the easter egger mutts, I had 6 blue eggs and they all hatched. the first one is one of the buff colored chicks. they will grow up and just have to be whatever they are I guess.

bc1.jpg

bc2.jpg

bc4.jpg

Last edited:
another update... the chick that I removed from the egg when I pulled the plug on the bator is still with me. I did not think he was gonna be here this long cause he was bleeding. Several drops for sure and I know he doesnt have a lot. Well I am gonna give the lil guy the benefit of the doubt at this point and call him number 30. His will to keep going has surprised me so he deserves number 30 whether he makes it or not now. Actually I cant tell him from the other black chicks.

Anyway...

Wes

Wow- you had a GREAT hatch!
I also have some young BO x RIR cross chicks- they are gorgeous! There are several people that deliberately breed them. You get the good laying of the RIR & the nice temperment of the Orpingtons. Looks like you have a few little roos in there too. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom