First hatch didn't go well need advice on the second.

lyleg5895

Chirping
Jul 20, 2020
Towanda, IL
This year we had our first broody hen on the farm... and then our second a couple weeks later.

Backstory:
Back in early August we noticed we weren't getting eggs from our Easter Egger anymore. We figured it was because she's getting older was just done laying. We thought it was odd that she went from laying every day to none at all but it was the only thing that made sense at the time. Then she disapeared one day and we assumed the worst. Fast forward a week or two and my daughter found her hiding out in the bushes behind our garage and sitting on 8 viable eggs. After another week or so, I came home from work to the sound of cheeps and sure enough, there were three little chicks running around mama. They ended up being the only ones who hatched. I think I'm to blame as I didn't trust our cat not to snag one if given the chance so we moved her, the chicks and the remaining eggs into a small tractor. Looking back I should have thrown together some sort of makeshift cage around them. Shortly after the easter egger went broody so did our Cochin whose eggs are due to hatch any day now.

The dilemma:
The Cochin (big mama) is in the big house. The other chickens don't mess with her too much moslty because they're terrified of her and because our cochin rooster often stands guard for her. But my worry is having such small chicks in with the rest of the flock. Should I try to build a cage around her? Or should I let mama guard her babies and hope for the best? I worry about intervening and doing more harm than good once again.

Also, here are the newest additions to the flock. One wasn't strong enough to make it but the other two are full of life and feisty as all get-out.
20200907_071431.jpg

When I have hens hatch chicks I separate them from the flock for the first week; until they are big enough to run from danger (other chickens). I have also used the cage in the coop idea too. Either way helps keep little chicks safe from other flock members.

Update: Big Mama hatched out three adorable chicks about 10 days ago. They're very strong and healthy and doing well in the coop. I ended up putting a baby gate around her in the coop which didn't keep the chickens from getting in but kept the day old chicks out from under feet. After a week I pulled they gate and everyone seems to be doing fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20200916_063630_746.jpg
    IMG_20200916_063630_746.jpg
    935.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200923_072447.jpg
    20200923_072447.jpg
    559.3 KB · Views: 2
Week 4 update: For the last couple weeks, Big Mama has taken the chicks outside the coop more and more, teaching them how to forage and be chickens in general. They spend very little time under mama these days, exploring the coop and climbing on the perches. They've got most of their wing feathers in and some tail feathers. One of them is a white leghorn/barred cochin cross that I think will be absolutely gorgeous once she's fully mature.

Back
Top Bottom