1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

First hatch ever....need help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cocky, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Cocky

Cocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    I have decided to do a hatch for my 3rd grade class. It will be the first time ever so I am not sure how to do this. I want to be sure I have atleast some eggs hatch so the kids can see the process and are not dissapointed. I have decided on a hovobater 1588 I think it is genesis.

What do I need to do?

How can I be sure some chicks are growing?

what is candeling and how exactly does it work?

Is there anything else I need to know?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The best thing is to go to your library and check out a simple book on hatching and chick development. We can post here all day in this thread and not tell you enough or tell you too much. LOL

It is a wonderful classroom activity.

Perhaps a copy of Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens and a hatching guide will be in your best interest. I do think there are some teachers resources through the extention office.

When I was in school 4H was part of our curriculum. I am sorry to see so many public schools who do not have it available any longer. There is a wealth of help and knowledge to be garnered from the extention office in your county.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Also on the Home page of BYC there is a Learning Center Thread and a Raising Chickens 101 read up on those, they are most helpful in helping you understand the whats and hows of hatching chicks.....

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by