First hatch ever. .

Hmarie

Hatching
May 14, 2015
I am new to hatching chickens. ive raised them for years but have never tried to hatch any. I made a homemade incubator out of a styrofoam cooler, 25 watt light bulb, a cup of water, and hygrometer/thermometer. One out of three so far have hatched. that means this little guy or gal survived a almost 6 hr power outage! he did hatch 6 days late. today would be day 27! one egg wasnt fertile and the other egg was put in the bator 3 days after this one so fingers crossed maybe she will hat
6897298/width/200/height/400[/IMG]ch soon.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Congratulations on your hatched chick :celebrate I too love incubating and hatching chicks, I'm on day 18 today with 25 eggs and can't wait for some more little fuzzy butts.
With your chick hatching so late you may have had other temperature issues other than your 6 hours out. The 6 hours would have delayed hatch slightly but 6 days is quite significant. Have you double checked your thermometer to make sure it's giving you a correct ready? Wishing you the very best of luck with your other egg I hope it hatches for you and that your already hatched one has a friend soon.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

You can give the solo chick a small stuffed animal to cuddle with, and a mirror, so he thinks there is another chick with him. If you don't hatch another, you may want to get him/her a buddy or two around the same age. Chickens are flock animals and happiest when not alone. Welcome to BYC

Back
Top Bottom