First hatch, exciting!

CJClucks

Songster
May 21, 2018
North Texas
After returning from a week of vacation I found my bantam jungle fowl on a hidden nest of 8 of her own eggs. I candled & 7 were developing. I was estimating her to have been on them about a week at that point. Since her nest was on the ground in an unsafe location I moved her & the eggs at night to a dog crate in my garage. Thankfully she settled back in & has continued to sit on them.
Last night as I took some trash out I heard chirping! I observed her for awhile trying to get a glimpse as she moved & finally saw one chick 1/2 hatched & chirping under her. The other eggs still looked to be in tact but I feel like I saw one move. I’m so eager to see what’s going on out there today. This is our first hatch & my kids & I are fascinated! Just had to share the excitement.
If you zoom in on the left you can see the wing & leg of the 1/2 hatched chick. She pushed it back under her pretty quick but I almost felt like she purposely gave me the chance to see it!

Attachments

• CA21C493-3746-4103-9977-7634BBDA4227.jpeg
    CA21C493-3746-4103-9977-7634BBDA4227.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 22
I see two fuzzy chicks! I don’t think she’s been off the nest at all since hatching started despite my hovering. Haha. It’s hard to be patient...can’t wait to get a full view!

How long will she stay on the nest after the first hatch? Starting to wonder what my game plan will be if she gets up & there are still unhatched eggs.

Attachments

• D002D588-CF88-4079-A150-5D414EBB5CCE.jpeg
    D002D588-CF88-4079-A150-5D414EBB5CCE.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 18
So exciting! Keep us posted on the rest of the hatches :love. I have hatched eggs using an incubator and once with a broody hen. My hen had 5 eggs under her, only 2 were viable...on hatch day, she successfully hatched 1, and the other died before it got out of the shell, so I am no help on what to expect after awhile and if she walks off of the nest. Good luck and congrats again!

Back
Top Bottom