First hatch - problem or not?

Trish up North

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
Alaska
Hi everyone - I started my very first hatch ever (4 Cortunix Quail eggs I ordered from the back of a magazine ) on April 29 at 2:45pm. I'm using one of those Chickabators that I've come to learn aren't so great, but I've been very diligent in turning, temp and humidity and I had my first egg hatch on May 16 without issue. The little fella is doing great!

I have 3 more eggs to go and considering they were mailed from Georgia to Alaska, I really didn't expect ANY to hatch. But there is one that is moving the egg around a little although he hasn't pipped a bit yet. Should I be concerned since late? These 3 eggs were a full gram heavier than the one that hatched so I expected a bit of a delay, but now I'm getting concerned. Thanks for your help - this forum is so awesome, I'm glad I found it!

Folk seem to love photos around here so here's a couple I took of Dan right after the hatch:

danquail.jpg

danquail2.jpg

I also have a rough video I put on YouTube here:

I don't know anything about Cortunix Quail eggs. Anything new as of yet. When is their hatch date? I know I was told they could come late because of temps going up and down. Hope someone answers you that knows more then me. Good Luck
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
I love the color of the eggs.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Incubation time is 17-18 days and Friday was the 17th day so they are on the 19th day. Nothing new as of yet this evening. Just tiny little quivers from the egg occasionally but no pipping.
barnie.gif

It has been a long time since I hatched any Quail, but I would say that if the egg/eggs is still rocking, then leave them alone and see if they hatch. They are just like chicken eggs, some may hatch early and some may hatch late. My sister hatched Quail eggs also and she had a couple of eggs hatch 2 or 3 days later than the first ones that hatched. When I hatched them, they just all started hatching at once. Looked like popcorn popping in the bator...lol

Dorothy

Back
Top Bottom