First Hatch...Some Success and a Whole Lotta Drama!

chickhopeful12

Songster
11 Years
Oct 8, 2008
CT
Well, I had 5 eggs due this weekend. 2 hatched on the 18th day, 1 on the 19th day. 3 out of 5 is not bad and it seems one more egg is starting to show signs.

Last night while 2 are in the brooder and the one is trying to make his way into the world, my power goes out!!
barnie.gif
This is just my luck. The incubator in a very short amount of time drops down to 98...I'm cursing while my husband is trying to start the generator. Figures it gives him a hard time while I am trying to hatch first time out!!

He gets the generator running, about 20 mins have passed. I put a heating pad under the brooder to get them warmed up quick. It worked. The third hatched around 1-2 am after the power had come back on.

Talk about stressed out...the funny thing about the situation was that as soon as the power went out, I tried to get onto the forum for emergency advice. No power, means no internet.

It just goes to show you how much I rely on the great info and advice from the BYCers.
hugs.gif

Well, wish me luck 2 more eggs to go. 15 jumbo browns due next weekend!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif

Oh man! Figures right??? Happy it worked out ok and hope you have a great hatch next weekend!!

Want to hear a funny story???
big_smile.png
Ok I will tell you guys anyways
smile.png

Whenever the power goes out for 15 min or more...I get the best hatches! So when the power goes out I am not doing anything but sitting around and just letting nature takes it's course. Especially with shipped eggs
hmm.png

Thats my luck though honestly.

lagpmgdsls: How is everything with you? The eggs I got from you are going to hatch next weekend and I will definitely keep you posted.
hugs.gif

quaillady: Like I said before, I could read what you have to say all day long, love to hear your advice and your stories...keep them coming!
big_smile.png

Here are the little guys that hatched this weekend so far...It is funny to think that they made it to my house on a 50 mile ride in a motorcycle saddlebag!!!
16844_sdc10900.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom