First hatch!: wiggling and scratching!!

Quote:
Okay, I'm a carton hatching convert now!
bow.gif

80702_cuphatch.jpg

80702_tiny.jpg

I couldn't stand it. There were at least 3 long-time pipped eggs that had been rolled around and seemed to stop all action. I decided to risk it. I got the bathroom good and steamy, and all supplies ready first- and I had THREE helpers.
yippiechickie.gif
We coordinated carrying the 'bator into the bathroom, plugging it in, and everyone had a job- lift lid, remove chicks, remove trash, place eggs in cartons. And last person wrote down egg numbers we couldn't see earlier and pipped or not. There were no other pips than the 3 we knew about. All three showed healthy live action almost immediately after lid was replaced. We left the single recent hatchling in for encouragement [and too wet to take out]
hugs.gif

We waited until the temp was back up to 99* before unplugging and moving back downstairs- no loss of heat doing that. The humidity was never below 60% and the Temp was never below 96*. I would get a heater and warm the room more if I had to do it again, but the humidity was just fine. All three of those eggs hatched rather quickly after that, 1 per hour!
idunno.gif
for the next three hours! It's amazing how they stagger themselves. Even though they all started from the bathroom scene at about the same place- they took turns coming out. the previous hatched were staggered similarly as well. Weird.
hu.gif
Those three hatched out of the egg cartons just fine- and I actually think it was easier in way, because they had gravity to push with and there was a lot less thrashing to get the egg off.
thumbsup.gif

As of right now: 5 in the brooder, 4 in the 'bator, so, 7 more to go, but those have not done anything yet. 4 Were confirmed live on Sunday or later [wiggling egg] and 3 are on the maybe list. Though the other 3 maybes have ALL hatched!
ya.gif

Humpty dumpty is one of the waiting maybes, but I think his odds are good considering these statistics.
fl.gif
[As long as those wild chicks didn't crack him in the wrong place while rolling him around!]
th.gif

I have managed to witness all 9 hatches!! And as my kids would say, 'It's been freaking awesome!'
ep.gif
wee.gif

nighty night-
deborah
80702_slumberparty.jpg

woot.gif
woot.gif

YAY! I posted on the "cracked egg" thread hoping you'd update -- I'm glad I saw this one. Can't wait to see if lil' Humpty Dumpty makes it!

I love the pic of them all crashed out -- this being hatched business is hard work!!

Quote:
I'm glad you saw it too! I hate to start too many new threads, but I guess it doesn't matter too much.
hide.gif

I was amazed at how energetic they were at hatch time- they were stumbling all over the place- crashing into eggs, pecking at each other! It was so stresful! lol
ep.gif

The bedtime picture was exactly that. All the 'fieldtrippers' were gone, kids bedded down, lights out and quiet- so they all went to sleep. Boy are they very easily distracted! When I took the picture several got up and came over to look at my pink phone! lol:plbb I covered the tank w/ a dark towel. The four in the 'bator are STILL making a chirping racquet! The kids and I are spending another night to be 'with the chicks.' I should take a photo of that!!
love.gif

Keep checking in with this thread, I will update here tomorrow. If humpty hatches I will make him his OWN THREAD!
thumbsup.gif

blessings,

deborah

Quote:
Humpty Dumpty is not doing anything right now, along with 5 other eggs.
idunno.gif
fl.gif

I've got chick number 10 working on hatching, probably in the next couple of hours- almost done zipping, but resting.
I am going to the mall to take a break!!
sickbyc.gif
and then I have a meeting tonight. I will try to update as soon as I can.
cool.png

Keep praying for the remaining 6 and the one working on hatching now.
love.gif

blessings,

deborah
All the others are doing great!! and we are in love.
smile.png

I'm still watching...
caf.gif
...and worrying...
fl.gif
...and waiting...
pop.gif
! Looking forward to updates on the last six. I know how stressful that can be.

Quote:
Oh I am so stressed! And so bummed!! Chick number 10 is STILL half zipped!
he.gif
I can see him breathing,'but I don't know why he won't just come put. The other 6 are still sitting. My sil is coming over tomorrow and I'm hoping they are just waiting to show off for her. I know the 'nature of things' but I don't accept it
hit.gif

Im hoping to update my blog late tonight and I'll post then.

Deborah
From her phone while at meeting

Okay, here's the 11 O'clock report:

6 eggs still sitting there. 4 very bored chicks stuck in incubator.
sad.png

I've got one chick that started a teeny tiny pip last night [just a fleck off the shell so wasn't sure if it was pecked off by other chicks or a pip] , then this morning he broke off another small piece in the same exact place- And we witnessed his beak at work. Well, he's half 'zipped', still breathing, still chirping softly on occasion, but no progress most of the day. I would guess since maybe 11am. So over 24 hours since he started. . .<s> I have not seen his beak for awhile. </s> wait. I just saw it at 11:28pm!! Pictures below: What would you do??
rant.gif

The temp is 99-100, and the humidity has been around 77% all day.

80702_halfzipped.jpg

80702_egg3.jpg

blessings and prayers,

deborah

Last edited:
Ugh, It's day 23 and still 'halfway' has yet to hatch. He still looks like he's breathing, though. Every now and then the other chicks come over and peck at him where he's zipped. What I should I do???
hit.gif

deborah

Quote:
Okay, I decided to go ahead and help. The 4 chicks have been in there long enough and I didn't think he would ever hatch, but just die anyway.
hit.gif
At least I could try.
We did the steamy bathroom method again, even though the other 6 eggs haven't pipped, I figured the chick would need the heat and humidity.

I ended up taking him completely out. Peeling bit by bit. The membrane was dry and he wasn't struggling or trying to push at all. He seems perfectly normal. Yolk absorbed, no blood etc.
He's not moving much, but just a little. I am hoping he is just exhausted and w/ rest and drying out some he'll perk up. I'm wondering if I should take him in a little while and give him sugar water?
Since I 'hatched' by hand, I am calling him Caesar after caesarian section.
tongue2.gif

Prayers he makes it!
fl.gif
And I don't know what to do w/ the other 6 eggs but leave them in the incubator.
hu.gif

Caesar, just born:
80702_caesar.jpg

Back
Top Bottom