First hatch with diy cooler bator

I use the SHT2000 controller to handle temperature and humidity. It keeps my temperature within 1/2 a degree from target and humidity within a couple of % of target, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X9WD88...colid=NLZCUNPI53JE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It will take a little bit to get to it to you but, worth it. Very reasonably priced.

I posted about my build here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/home-built-incubator.1337443/#post-22338344

Nice build! I have been looking for a cheap cooler like that for awhile. Found a wine cooler once for 50 bucks, didn't get it at the time. I got a free mini fridge, but it had a bottom drawer, and I had to cut out the back of the fridge to fit my trays. Never did finish it. I decided I don't need to hatch that many eggs at a time anyway.
I like the mister idea, and was going to use one when I got an Inkbird.
Although, I wonder if a mister in a cooler bator would be overkill and spike readings.
I was looking at the controller unit you posted last week, and wondered if it would be reliable for the price. I may try it out, thanks for the heads up. I think I'm gonna make a wet bulb hygrometer for this hatch, fill my pan and see where it sits.

This is my first hatch with my diy cooler bator. I am just winging it. I have an inkbird thermostat calibrated to a medical thermometer using my body temp. The inkbird was .5 degrees off at most. I have no hygrometer. I am going with a dry hatch. I am 7 days in, and I just candled.
A dozen of the eggs were infertile. I set 3 eggs a day late and will candle them tomorrow. I am hand turning 3 - 5 times a day. I ended up with 5 game eggs so far, and some layer/leiper cross, lol.
View attachment 2088363
Hey how are things going with this cooler? I made one outta styrofoam just waiting for it to stay attempt before placing my eggs in it.

Hey how are things going with this cooler? I made one outta styrofoam just waiting for it to stay attempt before placing my eggs in it.
It has been going well. Temperature is steady. I got an Arctic Silent 8 fan that runs 15 cfm, and seems to be working well without a controller. Tonight is lockdown. I don't have a hygrometer, and I think I'm gonna run and get one today.

It has been going well. Temperature is steady. I got an Arctic Silent 8 fan that runs 15 cfm, and seems to be working well without a controller. Tonight is lockdown. I don't have a hygrometer, and I think I'm gonna run and get one today.
I highly recommend getting one it's my first hatch too but I feel alot better knowing what my humidity is. I started eggs in here last night.
JPEG_20200423_102347_7479184722424873894.jpg

Hope the hatch goes well keep me informed please mine have a long ways out still just put the eggs in yesterday so today's day 1!

I highly recommend getting one it's my first hatch too but I feel alot better knowing what my humidity is. I started eggs in here last night. View attachment 2104069
I went for a dry hatch because of the high relative humidity here in Missouri. Still, I would like to have known what it was sitting at. Good luck with your hatch, hope all goes well! I'll definitely give updates. Here is hoping they are good ones.

I went for a dry hatch because of the high relative humidity here in Missouri. Still, I would like to have known what it was sitting at. Good luck with your hatch, hope all goes well! I'll definitely give updates. Here is hoping they are good ones.
Sounds good and ok makes sense. Fingers crossed all goes well

Lockdown begins. I didn't candle any eggs. I went to the farm store and picked up a hygrometer/thermometer. I calibrated the hygrometer and it reads 5% low according to my salt test. The thermometer is spot on at 100. Looks like my humidity was around 25-35%. I just added water to my tray through the catheter syringe with a Dawn squirt bottle. It can be sucked back into the syringe if humidity gets too high. I will give it some time and check it later. I hope my tray isn't too much surface area. I may have to vent the humidity periodically or use a smaller container. We will see.

Attachments

• 20200423_200717.jpg
    20200423_200717.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200423_200948.jpg
    20200423_200948.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 4
I filled my tray and humidity came up to 55. I added a jar of water and it came up to 65. I just added another jar of water, to see what happens, but I think it is at a good level. It is very moist in there, and condensation is collecting at the lid of the cooler. I plugged two of the four ventilation holes.

Back
Top Bottom