First hatch with diy cooler bator

Is today hatching day? Keep us updated!!
Today is day 20. I'm getting nervous. I just checked the humiditiy and it reads 67. So it is probably 67-72, somewhere around there. I tried unplugging the two ventilation holes and the humidity dropped, so I plugged them again. Everything is where it should be, I hope.
I realized that I never disinfected the wire tray I made to put the eggs on, but there is a liner between it and the eggs, so I hope it is ok. I can only peek quickly, but I don't see any external pips yet. Three of the eggs are still at day 19. Did I mention I was nervous?

Today is day 20. I'm getting nervous. I just checked the humiditiy and it reads 67. So it is probably 67-72, somewhere around there. I tried unplugging the two ventilation holes and the humidity dropped, so I plugged them again. Everything is where it should be, I hope.
I realized that I never disinfected the wire tray I made to put the eggs on, but there is a liner between it and the eggs, so I hope it is ok. I can only peek quickly, but I don't see any external pips yet. Three of the eggs are still at day 19. Did I mention I was nervous?

I’m so excited for you! I’m sure the wire tray is fine, especially with the liner over it. Can’t wait to meet the little guys! 🐣

Too bad about the humidity though, not great to plug ventilation but low humidity is worse. Are you going to be using the coolerbater again? Maybe you could play around with some different setups once the chickies are out and see if you can get the humidity to stay up there. I was originally going to flood the bottom, but I’m around 50% with only two cubes in the ice cube tray filled, so I’m rethinking my plan now...

I’m so excited for you! I’m sure the wire tray is fine, especially with the liner over it. Can’t wait to meet the little guys! 🐣

Too bad about the humidity though, not great to plug ventilation but low humidity is worse. Are you going to be using the coolerbater again? Maybe you could play around with some different setups once the chickies are out and see if you can get the humidity to stay up there. I was originally going to flood the bottom, but I’m around 50% with only two cubes in the ice cube tray filled, so I’m rethinking my plan now...
I have four 10mm ventilation holes and only plugged two of them. I was just experimenting to see how the ventilation affected the humidity. I have a 6 x 6 tray on bottom with water, and two jars with water on the top rack, and humidity is right on. The humidity reads 68 today. My hygrometer is maybe 5 degrees low, so that would make the humidity 73.

It is day 21! I was sitting at my desk and I heard some loud chirping last night. One egg has pipped! I don't see any others yet. I'm really beginning to wish I added a viewing window of some kind. The chick is really loud, even inside the shell. I thought it had already hatched from the sound. Hopefully, I will have more updates today.

Did you bore ventilation holes or not?
I did. I put two 10mm ventilation holes on either side of the fan, and two directly across from them on the other short side. I also have very slight ventilation from the top lid, and the drain hole I ran the hose through to the water pan. I don't think I have any lack of ventilation. It was just necessary to plug one 10mm hole on each side to help keep the moisture in.

My first chick hatched! Another one is pipped.
Resting and drying off. Humidity jumped 7% to a reading of 75, so it may be as high as 80. I pulled a ventilation plug to level it off.
20200427_155223.jpg

PS: I see more pips, and hear more cheeps! Humidity reading 72, even after opening cooler and taking chick out and removing a plug.

Last edited:
My first chick hatched! Another one is pipped.
Resting and drying off. Humidity jumped 7% to a reading of 75, so it may be as high as 80. I pulled a ventilation plug to level it off.
View attachment 2111165
PS: I see more pips, and hear more cheeps! Humidity reading 72, even after opening cooler and taking chick out and removing a plug.
Omg cute how are things going now

Number one seems especially worn out. There was a little goo stuck to its feet, so I pulled it out pretty quick. The feet were clean by then, so nothing major. Toes are straight. Number two is chipper.

Back
Top Bottom