1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

First hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by taylamiller1, Feb 1, 2014.

1. taylamiller1

taylamiller1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    Ok so first chick has hatched just wondering do they just sleep once they get out or is it a sign that they are weak here is a video of it

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    They sleep a lot!!!!

3. taylamiller1

Dec 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    Ok thanks this is my first hatch just making sure everything's ok how kind ruffly does it take for them to dry

4. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    LOL. They are funny...They be walking and chirping then just do a faceplant and sleep.. Scared the crud outta me at first, was told it was normal...Funny to watch

5. AmericanMom

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    figure 8-12 hours til they are dry... I got one that's pipped now, figure I'll stay up for awhile to make sure it gets out then go on to bed and leave it be..

6. taylamiller1

Dec 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    I've had one hatch another just about out and another pip

7. Ariel188

Ariel188 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Southern CA
    Yeah that is scary as well as their first time sun bathing where they look dead. I have had people over and be like OMG your chicken, and i say no they do that all the time, lol. Scared me the first time too though, hahah.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by