First hatched failed. Any guesses why? *Pic*

Twinsoffaith

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2015

I hope I didn't do anything wrong. Advice would help. It's a Serama chick.
1f625.png

What model incubator did you use?

Serama are difficult to hatch in general so don't beat yourself up. I had a wicked time with them at first. The castle delight seramas website has (or did the last time I checked) info on her incubation methods for them. I used her method the last time I hatched serama and had 9 of 12 eggs hatch. I also triple check temp and humidity in my bators. I've learned not to trust the reading some give.

Thank you for your encouragement. It's a simple one from Tractor supply. I know better for next time. I knew Seramas hard to hatch and looks like I got him to almost last couple of days yolk was absorbing. May have been lethal gene, and other factors. Just sad to loose and wanted to learn from others. Thank you all

My little giant bators both don't have an accurate temp display. Calibrate a meat thermometer (they're very cheap) and double check your temps. I also use a probe hygrometer that I calibrated with the salt test for humidity. That was way off in both on the display. I hope you have better luck next time :)

50% humidity is really a little on the high side for the first 18 days. I would try to keep it between 20-30 the first 18 days then boost it to 60-65 at lockdown. Temps for Still Air should be 101-102 and forced air at 99.5.

50% humidity is really a little on the high side for the first 18 days. I would try to keep it between 20-30 the first 18 days then boost it to 60-65 at lockdown. Temps for Still Air should be 101-102 and forced air at 99.5.

That's odd. All the research I did suggested a humidity of 40-55% for the first 18 days and 65-75% during lock down. I've had mine at about 50-55% and I'm at day 12. Should I turn my humidity down or will turning it down now effect the embryos? All 13 eggs are still showing signs of development and movement but now I'm a bit concerned my humidity is too high..

i had a semi-failed hatch, similar to your situation. i also used the incubator from tsc. I managed to hatch out only 2 chicks out of 8 eggs...... of which 7 were fertile. the last few that didnt hatch but were fully formed and looked just like that. it was quite heartbreaking to see them so close, yet so far. I suspected they died either right on day 18 or slightly past it. not sure if humidity did something to them towards the last few days, or the slight temperature shift that was cooler. either way, dont give up! when you watch the chick pipping to hatch and finally pop out it is definitely worth it!

Back
Top Bottom