First Hatchlings

hitchiechicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014

After a failed first attempt to hatch babies I bought 12 chickens from our local feed store. Hubby was determined to hatch babies so we tried again. Today we came home to 4 little ones with 4 more having pips and working on hatching.

hitchiechicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
I honestly have no idea. We got a mixed batch of eggs from two other chicken friends. Any ideas??

hitchiechicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
"Breaking News" LOL 6 total hatched, 3 in process. All appear to be healthy and doing well in our dog crate brooder box. We've has a cold snap this week so they'll be indoor residents at least till the weekend. Pics to follow.

Tappy4me

Songster
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Virginia
"Breaking News" LOL 6 total hatched, 3 in process. All appear to be healthy and doing well in our dog crate brooder box. We've has a cold snap this week so they'll be indoor residents at least till the weekend. Pics to follow.
Congrats! Can't wait to see pics :)

hitchiechicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
So I've read various articles but what are BYC thoughts on the first feed to give day old chicks? Regular chicken starter? Crushed grain or corn??

Tappy4me

Songster
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Virginia
I think you're supposed to only feed chick starter. I think they need grit if getting anything else. I don't think feeding just crushed grain or corn will give them what they need to properly grow.

hitchiechicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
Went with chick starter. They are all eating and drinking. 7 total hatched, 1 more almost hatched. 2 didn't make it but had started pipping.

hitchiechicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
The 8 that hatched earlier this week have graduated from the inside brooder to the outside.

***won't let me post pic grrr***

Latest posts

Top Bottom