First incubation, turkey eggs, what am I doing?!

TheHenMaster91

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 23, 2014
Ketchikan, Alaska
Hello! Ive tried to incubate a few of my chicken eggs with no luck, I think my rooster has...aim issues. After three failed attempts I gave up for awhile and have decided to try again with fertile turkey eggs, wild eastern turkey I think.

Im using a forced air, Farm Innovations Styrofoam incubator with auto-turner. 100F with 50-60% humidity, although one day it sat at 45% for who knows how long :(

I have 6 brown speckled turkey eggs in there, today is day 10. I used a Brinsea Ovascope to candle my eggs.

I have never used a candler with fertile eggs so Im not feeling to confidant with my identification skills, Im posting a picture of all the eggs, and a video of some movement. I assume if there is movement then its alive? Some eggs are significantly larger than others so the light doesnt make it through all of them all that well. Each egg picture is numbered, if anyone needs different pictures at different angles of a particular egg.

I would love any advice or help with candling. Thank you!

Egg 1 - veins and movement

Egg 2 - I think I can see a vein on this egg, not as much movement and not as dark as the rest.

Egg 3 - Lots of movement, defiantly see veins.

Egg 4 - Lots of veins, very dark at the top, hopefully not a blood ring.

Egg 5 - Lots of veins, lots of movemnt.

Egg 6 - This is the largest egg, almost twice the size of most of the eggs. Some movement and veins, very dark, could be just due to size not letting light all the way through?

That humidity seems very high. I use the same as for chickens 25 to 35%. The eggs have to loose enough moisture for the poults to have enough room to hatch. Good luck!

Yes, I do not know why so much online info has humidity so high, but large eggs need to loose a lot of moisture. I would just keep an eye on your air cells but take any water out of the incubator. I imagine the air isn't especially dry where you live.

I live in southeast AK, normally its always rainy, 300 days out of the year, however we have had no rain for almost 3 weeks here. Between it being only 60F and no rain the humidity in the house is 16%. That seems way too low for the eggs. However, from what I can tell the egg sac seems right. Ill keep it between 45% - 50% for a week and see what that does. :)

Day 19, I see less movement now than I used to, maybe they are too full in the shell to move as much? Some seem to have died late stage, Im not sure why, I did lower the humidity a bit but that shouldnt have killed anyone right? Here is a picture of an egg with what I think is a blood ring, I didnt toss it, but Im pretty sure its dead. I candled it from the top this time to show the ring around the air sac.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom