first incubation

Okay, so I have been changing the bedding every day but taking it outside and washing it down every other day. I do this while they play in the yard. The coop will hopefully be done by the end of the weekend and my 6 week old chicken will get to try it out before my others hatch.

I'm going to join! I love watching other people go through the whole incubation period and seeing how they do it compared to how I do. I see you already have some very smart people on here but maybe I can help a little to.
smile.png

xs 2
The only way you can see the bullseye is by cracking open an egg before incubation. Then you would be looking for the bullseye which would look like this:

The only way you can tell if an egg is fertile during incubation is by seeing developement. I can usually start seeing veining by day 3, but that is not neccessarily when everyone sees them and it depends on the egg coloring as well to what you will or won't see when. Usually you can detect veining first around the edge of the air cell. If you'd like a good candling guide, check out this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation (keep in mind they are bantam eggs and easy to see into.)

If you put them in Tuesday night (May 5th) Day one will start Wednesday night (May 6th) So your lockdown date would be late Saturday May 23rd-24th with expected hatch day being late Tues May 26th-27.

If you'd like help or tips with incubating, let us know and we are happy to help. (FYI please do not follow incubator instructions-especially if you have a styrobator- for incubating eggs as their temp instructions for the still air and their humidity instructions are not good.) You will find a wealth of knowledge (and many different philosophies) here on BYC that can help you.

I wish you lots of luck on your hatch.
If anybody has questions, amy is the person to ask! :) I think I speak for us all... THANKS AMY!

I haven't ever used 1 before but it may be useful. I have a large wooden brooder that I built years ago that we still use. I will probably have to build another brooder or a bigger brooder however once we get set up with the incubator I plan to build.

I am currently using a Rubbermaid tub. My coop should be done this weekend I hope and I would like to build a brooder out there. I am trying to find the best heat source besides a lamp. I'm thinking of going with the heating pad. I think they are calling it mama heating pad or something.

Last edited:
I am currently using a Rubbermaid tub. My coop should be done this weekend I hope and I would like to build a brooder out there. I am trying to find the best heat source besides a lamp. I'm thinking of going with the heating pad. I think they are calling it mama heating pad or something.
Have you looked at the Brinsea eco glow? They are a popular alternative. Of course, they are Brinsea, so they are pricey.

Looks nice but I would imagine it will get pretty nasty with them pooping all over it. I would also be concerned about them pecking at the cord, so if you try it, look for ways to isolate the cord. Wonder why the big range in prices on that thing? Does it come in different sizes? I didn't look that close before I started typing...

Back
Top Bottom