First Little Flock

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Shepherd Rex, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Shepherd Rex

Shepherd Rex New Egg

Nov 19, 2012
    Hi all, Just started out with chickens, and purchased 8 Pekins that were described as 3 millefluer, 1 cuckoo and 3 black hens, and then 1 white rooster, I've had them now for two weeks, they range free during the day and are locked up at night, my problem is, that although they're not laying ( I assumed that they'll take a while to settle and are young birds) but I think one of the blacks ( the one on the right with the brown flecked collar) may be a rooster but I'm unsure how to identify? Any help would be much appreciated x
    [​IMG]

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    They all look like hens except for the one you said was a rooster, the white one. The one with gold on it's neck looks like black with gold leakage, the ones called mille fluers are exactly that. You have a nice lil flock there. I have a cohin as well, and they are fun little birds.

Also, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

3. Shepherd Rex

Shepherd Rex New Egg

Nov 19, 2012
    Thankyou very much. I'm loving having them , doesnt help but lift your spirits on a chilly morning when you go and let them out, fingers crossed for some eggs soon :)

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] The white one may be a cockerel. They do look rather young with the tiny comb and wattles.

This young pullet has a while before she starts laying. Note the small size of her comb and wattles.

[​IMG]

In this photo she's in full production. Note her full comb and large wattles.

[​IMG]

Good luck with your lovely gals!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by