First Little Flock

Shepherd Rex

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 19, 2012
Hi all, Just started out with chickens, and purchased 8 Pekins that were described as 3 millefluer, 1 cuckoo and 3 black hens, and then 1 white rooster, I've had them now for two weeks, they range free during the day and are locked up at night, my problem is, that although they're not laying ( I assumed that they'll take a while to settle and are young birds) but I think one of the blacks ( the one on the right with the brown flecked collar) may be a rooster but I'm unsure how to identify? Any help would be much appreciated x

Hi all, Just started out with chickens, and purchased 8 Pekins that were described as 3 millefluer, 1 cuckoo and 3 black hens, and then 1 white rooster, I've had them now for two weeks, they range free during the day and are locked up at night, my problem is, that although they're not laying ( I assumed that they'll take a while to settle and are young birds) but I think one of the blacks ( the one on the right with the brown flecked collar) may be a rooster but I'm unsure how to identify? Any help would be much appreciated x
They all look like hens except for the one you said was a rooster, the white one. The one with gold on it's neck looks like black with gold leakage, the ones called mille fluers are exactly that. You have a nice lil flock there. I have a cohin as well, and they are fun little birds.

Also, welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

Thankyou very much. I'm loving having them , doesnt help but lift your spirits on a chilly morning when you go and let them out, fingers crossed for some eggs soon :)

frow.gif
The white one may be a cockerel. They do look rather young with the tiny comb and wattles.

This young pullet has a while before she starts laying. Note the small size of her comb and wattles.

In this photo she's in full production. Note her full comb and large wattles.

Good luck with your lovely gals!

Back
Top Bottom