First little one

laura8700

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 10, 2014
Warrenton va
Talk about a whirlwind of emotions! Out little guy started out around 830 yesterday morning. He got about halfway around his shell when he seemed to just stop . I researched, I read, I paced. 12 hours later I'm still pacing. Why is this taking so long?What if he doesn't make it? Is that membrane looking dry? Is he chirping enough? Geez, it was enough to make me crazy.
I went to bed last night and read about assisting hatching . I reread and reread . No way did I want to mess with this guy . What if I messed it up and I'm just some
Newbie that doesn't know anything. So I waited . 2 am. No progress. But still I waited . 8 am. Forget it he's slowing down and has not moved at all. So I slowly picked at his shell and rolled membrane back. One good stretch and he was in my hand chirping away. His head was in the bottom of the shell (nowhere near where it was supposed to cracking. What's up with that. Anyway .. I know it's a long story but I just wanted to share that I have a healthy baby now just chirping away and walking all
Over . It doesn't appear that the other eggs are going to make it. They all had movement at lockdown but no pipping and no noise coming from them;(

Nice to read he got out ok and that your assisting went well. I would still leave the other eggs just incase they are late hatchers. Good luck with your new chick. :jumpy

Thanks. Yeah we will let them sit longer. They all
Had movement at lockdown. I'm wondering if we messed up by putting eggs in turner tray the wrong way. Seems like they were all tipsy turvy. My kids and I have been so amazed at all of this.

Yes that could be the problem if you have had them set in your turner with the pointy end up and fat end down that could have caused them to develop in the wrong position. We all live and learn though. Good luck.

I would still give them a bit more time and if don't hear or see anything you would have nothing to lose by helping them and seeing if any thing is still alive.

I cancelled and saw no movement or internal
Pipping so I did quick float test and they are gone ;(. Bobbled like bobbers. Took one out to see how far it got and they were already gone. Still had a good bit of yolk sack left and outer membrane was rather dry. I'm
Guessing humidity issue maybe?

I cancelled and saw no movement or internal
Pipping so I did quick float test and they are gone ;(. Bobbled like bobbers. Took one out to see how far it got and they were already gone. Still had a good bit of yolk sack left and outer membrane was rather dry. I'm
Guessing humidity issue maybe?
Humidity, possible! How often did you open the incubator----during lock-down? I know you opened it to help this chick----was this after day 21 or earlier?

Opened twice during lockdown to help
This one.
Did you open after day 21 to help this one? If you open it during lock-down it affects the humidity, which can affect your hatch rate %.

I am no pro but I have a high % hatch. This is what I do. I Never open mine during lock-down for Nothing. I open it on day 22 unless all the egg have hatched before then. On day 22 I remove the chicks and If I have a egg/s that is pipped and the chick is still alive I help them hatch---leaving them in the incubator for another day to dry and get their strength built up. When I first started incubating I had a very low hatch %, but I opened the incubator alot during the Lock-down time. I feel that opening it during that time affects some peoples hatch more than others because the humidity varies alot in different locations. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom