First loss - Darn it!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by EatMorSteak, Sep 23, 2011.

1. EatMorSteak

EatMorSteak Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Let my bantams go out to free range this morning. Just heard some commotion outside and went to investigate. I saw a hawk on my favorite hen. I ran towards it and scared it away, unfortunately she was already dead. Doesn't surprise me that this is the one that was targeted since she was most docile and wouldn't run away from anyone like the other ones did. I know it's nature but this really blows.

Any how, does anyone know if a hawk will come back for the dead hen? I'd hate to have her go to waste. I'm debating whether to leave her there for now and maybe the hawk will come back for it. Or should I just go ahead and dispose of her now.

2. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    [​IMG] I'm soooo sorry. This happened to me last week. I lost one of my Mille Fluer D'uccle girls, she was young and I guess the easiest target. I'm assuming it was a hawk as there was no body, just a small pile of feathers where I guess she was snatched. I kept everyone under lockdown for a few days but really I know they are best off free ranging. So far so good, no other losses. I don't think I would leave her body out for the hawk or any other predator- teaches them there is an easy chicken buffet waiting for them at your house. I would bury her if she was mine. So sorry, it really sucks.

Trish

3. EatMorSteak

May 28, 2011
    Mine was a Mille Fluer OEGB. I just went out and buried her. Sorry for your loss.

4. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    You'll probably just attract buzzards with a dead chicken laying out in the yard... or coyotes overnight. I don't mind the buzzards, but I don't like to attract other preditors, so I'd bury it or take it out to the woods far away from my coop.

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I am so sorry for your loss. Glad you decided to bury her. As rungirl said it would only attract buzzards and other prey.

6. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    I am sorry for your loss as well. I know it is very frustrating. Best wishes for the rest of your flock.

7. EatMorSteak

May 28, 2011
    Thanks everyone. Makes me wish I didn't choose the bantam breeds since they seem to be easy prey for hawks.

8. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'm sorry to hear for the loss of your hen. Hawks are a protected species though try to put chicken wire over their run

9. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    [​IMG] Thats stinks I'm sorry and the hawk will come back until there is no more food left for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by