First Loss...predator?

Hawks, buzzards, or vultures probably wouldn't or couldn't eat the feet and legs. Hard for me to believe a coyote or fox came in there with all those chickens going crazy then killed one and stood there and ate it. I really believe either a fox or coyote would have scooped one up and ran off with it. Since it happened during the day its unlikely it was a coon but I wouldn't rule it out. Doubt a coon would eat the feet and legs either. Also hard for me to believe the dog didn't see anything or didn't get involved. I know you probably don't want to hear that but i'm trying to help.

Hawks, buzzards, or vultures probably wouldn't or couldn't eat the feet and legs. Hard for me to believe a coyote or fox came in there with all those chickens going crazy then killed one and stood there and ate it. I really believe either a fox or coyote would have scooped one up and ran off with it. Since it happened during the day its unlikely it was a coon but I wouldn't rule it out. Doubt a coon would eat the feet and legs either. Also hard for me to believe the dog didn't see anything or didn't get involved. I know you probably don't want to hear that but i'm trying to help.

On Sunday afternoon, I saw a stray cat on that side of the property - right around the same time of day. Do you think it could have been a hawk with the initial kill, leaving the innards, legs and feet and then the cat making a quick dash for the feet and legs, leaving the innards?

I should also mention that he was found just inside the edge of our dog's electric fence.

Last edited:
Large cats? bobcats? cougars?
I would agree with you. This year, was the first year EVER I had a predator problem- 8 years.

It was a bobcat and there seems to be an overpopulation of them, and growing around here.

It killed my hen, and my dad said it started eating her right in front of the other chickens. Later that evening it came back and chased them up and down the run, terrorizing and almost tried to dig.

ALSO, I had to chase the bobcat. 2 feet away from me staring at the other chickens in the corner with a dead chicken in its mouth.

It's been gone for several months after I saw it carrying a dead white housecat...

Dogs DO eat chickens, my dog got out and ate 8 of mine in one day! Nothing left but a few feathers and one large bellly ache for my dog.
barnie.gif

We've had fox come around during the day (during the time they are feeding the young kits) but they have always ran off with them, and either taken them away, or hid in the woods a hundred yards away and eaten them. Typically they like to come at night, as well as the coons and skunks, but it CAN happen during the day.

We had a hawk come and kill one of my fav chickens, and it just ate parts of it by the coop, but did not eat the feet...

So, with that my guess is some kind of 4 legged predator, because it left ate the feet, but because it stayed there and didn't carry it off, it is either a very brave predator or a dog.

I have game cameras out now, and have learned alot using them.

Hope you catch it, if I was you I might pen them up until you find out what it is, as now they know they have a free easy meal waiting for them, and your flock will start disappearing.
sad.png

So sorry for your loss. You should definitely get a game cam and keep them locked up for a while. I've read that predators will come back until their is no more "free" food and then move on. Good luck.

I was just hanging around outside with my chickens and a black crow flew over - and my chickens FREAKED OUT!! Scooter, my other cochin rooster dashed under a small tree and started making all kinds of racket while the others scattered into the bushes. I have never seen them react that way before to a flying bird, so I'm leaning towards thinking it was a hawk with another animal acting as the clean up crew...

Back
Top Bottom