First loss :(

I'm assuming the best thing I can do in the meantime is keep them up until I get something built. I just prefer them to roam. I have a live trap set and nothing has been caught.

As far as alpaca's go:

http://www.redbarnalpacas.com/Our-Guard-Llamas.html

If it is foxes they are rather easy to trap if they are feeding on domestic animals, as they are accustom to human odors. Actually the hardest part of trapping is masking human odors, with whatever the pest is you have half the battle won. I would suggest leg hold traps as they are easy to use and hide.

Make sure the trap is the correct size for the animal you are after. If it is a larger animal hook the trap to a drag or something springy like a bush so the animal cannot get free.

If anyone is offended by trapping, I am sorry. I find nothing wrong with it myself, but my Grandpa taught me to trap a loooong time ago. And I do try to dispatch the trapped animal as soon and fast as possible.

Problem is I can't trap it unless I'm suffering from multiple predators. This is what I nearly walked right into yesterday and it wouldn't be scared away until my cat tried to attack it.

I'm so angry. I feel like my hands are tied and now I have to keep them up.

I am just getting caught up on your thread. I am very sorry for the chickens you've lost. :( As a very new comer to chickens, I am worried about local predators - I'm sure they've figured out that I have chickens by now. I haven't seen any at the coop yet, but I know they're out there. We've got raccoon and coyotes here - but the predators I worry most about are the overhead raptors like you've got in your picture there. Eagles and hawks of many species. Again, sorry for the loss of your birds and for the fact that your options are limited at this point. Keep us posted.

I would refer you to post 6 and 7 of this thread........

wink.png

Seriously Why does the number of predators make a difference? If it is 100 predators taking a chicken or 1 predator taking 100 chickens the result is the same.

Last edited:

Just keep in mind that my neighbors refused to keep their chickens penned. Now they don't have chickens anymore. We eventually got the foxes by putting some of my chickens in a coyot trap (as bait) and the neighbor boy shot the foxes one by one. Seven of them all adults 2 grey foxes 5 red foxes.

Hawks are happy for easy meals, but will give up and move on if the tasty treats are unavailable for a while. When I loose the first bird, usually a youngling, I confine my flock in their safe coop and run for ten to fourteen days; long enough that the hawk moves on. We watch for the hawk; they tend to not hide from view, and when they've been gone for a while, the chickens can come out again, starting for a short time in the late afternoon, and gradually back to daylight free ranging again. Mary

Back
Top Bottom