First molt...

Peaguy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
May,Texas
Okay so you go from the cute little fluff ball to first feathers, Then they grow some more and you go from first feathers to adult feathers which SHOULD be their permanent coloring right? At what age do they have their first molt and lose the juvie feathers? On average that is.
Still kinda wondering what I have
idunno.gif
besides the obvious BO's and the already ID'd Partridge Cochins and the Black Cochins which are becoming more ID-able everyday!
(I still cannot get over how Jurrasic Park-ish they all look though!They are definately descended from the dinosaurs!
lau.gif
)

Quote:
A junvenile molt happens as they are growing out, they just lose a few feathers along the way to adulthood...A full blown molting happens to chickens usually at 1 year old and happens every year...mine molt in late summer...early fall....new lighter or darker colors can happen when they molt...

I defintely believe coloring can change with age. Some breeds get better as they get older (for example Mille Fleur D'Uccles)...not sure about your breed though.

My Buff Orpingtons get a lighter golden with age and molts.......the blue orps some get better and more defined lacing...

Okay so unlike adult molts the juvie to adult molt is a gradual slow process? I shouldn't be expecting a bunch of loose feathers all the sudden from any one or 25 birds then? Kewl! I discovered the other day when we were out in "the park" (their run) that one of the hens that I thought was a buff Orp actually is more red and white. I will have to get a pic of her to try and figure out what she is She is the only one colored this way so far.I have named her Lucy, for Lucille Ball of course!
Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom